This lesson provides step-by-step guidance on creating an Ordering Item using NEW Item Bank. For this item type, students organize sort three or more choices into the correct order based upon the directions provided. This question is automatically scored.
Where to Start
- Select Assessments.
- Select Browse Item Bank NEW.
Create a New Item
- Select Create Item at the top right hand side of the screen.
- Use the dropdown menu to select Ordering Item as the item type.
- Enter the Item Stem. The Stem tells the students what to do with the answer choices provided.
- To insert a line break in the Stem, use shift-return (or shift-enter, depending on the keyboard).
Make sure that the Item Stem is clear about the desired order, e.g “Arrange the events in chronological order from first to last”, or “Arrange the expressions in numerical order from low to high”. It is usually best to use the “natural” or “forward” order (e.g. first-to-last or low-to-high) rather than “reverse” order.
- Enter the Choices Label. This appears above the answer choices when students are testing.
- Enter the Answer Choices in the left column. The text entered here will automatically appear in the right column of choices. The order set here is how the choices will initially be presented to students when testing.
- Use Shuffle Choices to randomize the order.
The easiest way to author an Ordering item is to enter the answer choices in the correct order to begin with, and then use the “Shuffle Choices” button to randomize the order.
- Organize the Answer Choices into the correct order in the right column by using the 2 line button to drag the Answer Choices.
- Select Add Choice to create an a new Answer Choice.
- To delete an Answer Choice, select the minus button.
- To link Standard(s) to the item, select the Three Pages icon.
- To link a Passage to the item, select the Book icon.
- To add Tags to the item, select the Tag icon.
- Additional Settings are available:
- Choice Label: Includes choice label on assessment.
- Placement Area: Ordering items use a sort in place approach by default. If enabling Placement Areas, a dedicated area I available for students to build up a sorted list instead.
- Enable Images: Provides ability to include images in answers.
- Orientation: By default, answer choices are arranged vertically. Horizontal should typically be used only with answer choices that are quite brief, so that they all fit in a single row. If horizontal orientation is combined with a placement area, the choices will appear above and the placement area below.
Users must link at least 1 standard when creating an item. If attempting to publish an item without standards, an error message will appear asking for standards to be aligned before publishing again.
- Select Item Preview.
- Users can select to preview the item from a Student or Instructor role.
- Test the item by ordering the Answer Choices.
- Use the Check Answer slider to verify the answer key.
- When the item is completed select Done.
- To make the item available to use in an assessment, select Publish.
- To save an item that isn't ready to publish, select Save Draft.
- To delete the item, select Discard.
Once items are Published, users can Lock, Edit, or Delete the item.