This lesson will guide you through the use of the Custom Emergency Cards feature which allows users to upload a PDF template of an emergency card, overlay data from Illuminate on top of it, and print in mass for distribution to teachers.
This is a permissions-based feature. There are two permissions available for use with Custom Emergency Cards:
- Emergency Cards - Generate - This permission allows users to view and print emergency cards populated with student information
- Emergency Cards - Manage - This permission allows users to create new emergency cards, edit all aspects of existing emergency cards, and delete emergency cards.
1. Click on the Students tab.
2. Select Emergency Cards.
You will be taken to the Emergency Cards List Page.
1. Click New Emergency Card to create a new emergency card .
2. Enter a name and description (description is optional).
3. Click the Save button . You then will be taken to the edit page.
4. Click on the Choose File button at the bottom of the page to upload a PDF for use with the template.
5. Once your PDF has been uploaded, click on the Save button. You will be taken to the options page.
6. Enter in the number of contacts, including parents, required for your emergency card.
7. Enter in the number of siblings required for your emergency card.
Note: It is okay to enter a larger number of contacts and siblings than needed, but not a smaller number than is needed. Up to 10 siblings and up to 10 contacts can be added to the overlay.
8. If desired, select a custom report from which to import additional fields.
Note: Each column from the custom report will become an available field for the overlay. The feature is currently limited to five reports per template.
9. Click the Submit button. You will be taken to the Layout page.
10. Click and drag any desired fields from the left onto the PDF in the center of the page .
11. Fields can be resized once on the page by clicking and holding down the pink arrow in the corner.
12. Once all fields have been placed and adjusted, click the Save button .
13. Click the Print button in the sub-navigation bar.
There are two types of fields that you can use on your Emergency Card:
1. Custom Fields that you create and manage using Student Custom Fields; or
2. Common Fields that Illuminate provides for you since they are tied back to a home or place in your tools and pages
There are a variety of fields that Illuminate provides for you, that do not need to be recreated using Custom Fields and tie directly back to their specific pages and tools in Illuminate.
Below is a document that shows which Common Fields are available and where their homepage is in Illuminate.
The fields are unique in that you have various formatting settings already applied to the field to account for additional details and information on all alerts or individual alerts, depending on your Emergency Card templates needs.
Under the Medical Cautions section, you will noticed four options:
- Combined Caution - All This field will combine ALL alerts and information into a list, preserving line breaks.
- Combined Caution - All (Block)* This field will combine ALL alerts and information into a paragraph form automatically.
- Caution - [Alert] This field will present a check for the alert that applies.
- Combined Caution - [Alert] This field will combine ALL information on the selected alert.
Depending on each individual alert, additional fields may be provided such as details, notes, etc.
Check out this sample emergency card to see these fields in action!
You will be taken to the Print Emergency Cards scope selector.
14. Using the scope selector, make your selection of students to print for.
15. Information as of- Select a date.
16. Click on the Generate Emergency Cards button.
17. The emergency cards will generate as a scheduled job. Follow the link in the confirmation banner or navigate to Control Panel > Scheduled Jobs to check the status.
When printing, Emergency Cards are printing Contacts tied to a student using a particular logic. Contacts are prioritized based on the following logic:
- Only contacts marked 'emergency' are included on the emergency card .
- Beyond that, contacts are ordered as follows, based on the combination of flags:
- Primary + Resides With + Legal + Mailing
- Resides with + Legal + Mailing
- Legal + Mailing
Primary Contacts will always print as the main contacts and the first two of Emergency Contacts, since they are who to contact in the case of an emergency.
Now that you are finished with Emergency Cards, take a leap and learn more about Health.