This lesson will guide you through the process of entering individual student grades using the Report Card Viewer. This allows a user to directly use the Report Card template to enter scores.
When Should I Use Report Card Viewer?
While there are many ways to enter and view a student's report card, here are some reasons why Report Card Viewer may good for you:
- The ability to see the actual Report Card document while recording student information in one screen
- Focus on a single student at a time
- Quick Print button to download the document
- Quick Student Drop-down to move efficiently amongst other students when ready
- Quick Save button when changes are applied
- Single student entry allows supports Co-Teachers or Teachers sharing the same roster to continue the entry process without locking one another out of the course/section
Where to Start
1. Click on the Grades tab.
2. Under Report Cards, select Entry.
3. Use the filters to select any specific Site, Enrollment, Department or Course information you wish to use to find students.
4. Press Find Students.
5. Grading Period will default to the current Grading Period. If you wish to select another, use the dropdown menu.
6. Select which Report Card you are entering grades for.
7. Click Load.
Entry By Student Options
There are two available entry views that focus on individual students: Field Entry by student or Report Card Viewer by student.
For more information about Field Entry by Student, visit Enter Report Card Grades .
8. On the Entry Screen under Entry by Student, click on a student's name.
First time using Report Cards? The first time visiting Entry by Student, the entry screen will default to the Field Entry View. If a different view is selected for entering data for an individual student, that view will be the defaulted choice for future students selected.
Using the Report Card Viewer
1. Once on the entry page for a student, press Report Card Viewer at the top of the page. You will notice this is also references as Entry by Layout.
2. The report card template will load. To enter a grade, simple click in the box you wish to fill in.
3. A pop up will display with a dropdown menu to allow you to enter a grade. The pop up details will vary depending on how the field was setup to collect or enter data.
4. Press Save. Repeat with as many fields as you wish to fill in.
A dropdown, or also known as a Predefined Value Set, provides a list of available values that you can apply to that field for that student. A key is usually available to show what each value means. Typically such dropdowns or values mimic that of a legend or key already located on your Report Card which also helps parents understand what those values mean.
If the value cannot be edited or changed, typically this means that the data is coming from a Custom Report or Assessment. Seeing the value is just available to you as the teacher, but there is no need to change it.
If the value is coming from a Custom Report, you are also given information on where the data is coming from such as the Report Name, Column in the report, and even the Author. The author is the one who built the report who can be a great resource for help if data is inconsistant or not available and should be.
If an Illuminate Gradebook is linked to the Report Card, data automatically displays in the field. When selected, the pop up will show a Value Scale or how your Gradebook data should show as a final value. The value is created by the Report Card creator or System Admin. Typically this follows the Gradebook practices you are currently using.
Now that you have learned how to use this entry screen, learn about more options and their features in Enter Report Card Grades