This lesson will show you how to go about creating a GPA Calculation.
A few important notes on creating GPA Calculations:
- Once created, site users will be able to use/choose that calculation in report cards and transcripts. So be careful and remove unnecessary GPA Calculations that you may be testing.
- When you are specifying your parameters for the calculation, there is AND logic between each category (ie. Course Requirement, Count Non-Academic Courses, etc). For any one course to meet eligibility into that GPA calculation, that course MUST satisfy all those requirements you specified.
Where to Start
1. Click Grades.
2. Click GPA Calculations.
GPA Calculations List
3. Click Add to add a GPA Calculation.
Creating a new GPA calculation
1. Enter the GPA calculation name.
2. Select a Site to apply this to.
3. Please specify what grade spans this calculation will cumulatively calculate. For example, if 9-12 grade levels are chosen and a senior student has grades for years 9,10,11, and 12, this GPA calculation will average all of the grades from 9th to 12th.
4. If you have courses (Course Management) that are flagged as Honors courses, do those courses get extra GPA weight? Whatever value you specify here, will be added to the student's GPA points for that course. For example, If there is a course, Honors Math, that is flagged as an Honors course and you enter "1" here, receiving an "A" (i.e. worth 4 GPA points), the student ultimately will get 5 GPA points for that course.
5. If applicable, please specify what grade levels will receive the extra points determined in step 4.
6. The same rule from step 4 applies here, but for courses that are flagged as AP in Course Management.
7. If applicable, please specify what grade levels will receive the extra points determined in step 6.
8. The same rule from step 4 applies here, but for courses that are flagged as College Prep in Course Management.
9. If applicable, please specify what grade levels will receive the extra points determined in step 8.
10. Do you wish to enable/disable weighted grades for this calculation? If enabled, weights will be used (i.e. B+ = 3.00, B = 2.75, B- = 2.25) as defined through what is set up for each of those grade marks. If disabled and weights (+/-) are used, those weighted grade marks will default to receive the default grade point (ie. B+ = 2.75, B = 2.75, B- = 2.75). Leaving this option blank defaults to "No".
11. If applicable, please specify what grade levels will receive weighted grade points.
12. Do you wish to count non-academic courses? Within Course Management of any course, you can specify whether that course is or is not an academic course. Choosing "Yes" here will count those courses that are flagged as Yes(Is Non-Academic) in Course Management. Choosing "No" or leaving this blank will include all courses that are No(Is Non-Academic) in Course Management.
13. Do you wish to count repeated grades into this calculation? If enabled, repeated grades will factor into this calculation. Choosing "No" or leaving it blank will exclude repeat grades.
14. Do you wish to "Force Courses Always Show on HS Transcripts?"
15. Click Save.