Report Card administration in Illuminate has been made easier and faster with duplication features that allow administrators to rollover specific pieces of the report card setup, as opposed to all report cards. This option is the most common option used, even if some things will change. Please discuss with your Customer Success Manager (CSM) or Report Card Specialists before proceeding.
This tool is an all and everything tool where once used, all report cards for the previous academic year and its components are duplicated and tied to the next academic year. You will not be able to choose and refine which report cards you wish to roll over. This tool is the best option for most clients.
All report card components are duplicated using a single tool. You do not need to use any other duplication tool.
Illuminate U: Rolling Over Elementary Report Cards
Before you begin, make sure to be in the Report Card creator's account and signed in to the next academic year.
Check with your District System Administrator and Data Team to confirm if one of the following has been completed first:
Because report cards are tied to Grading Periods, it is a helpful step to create the new year's grading periods before rolling over your Elementary Report Cards.
Why? The Grading Period Number is an ID Number that is tied to each report card. This is how the report card knows how to turn off or on and available to teacher users for entry. The report cards will rollover tied to Grading Period ID's from last year, and assume the numbers are the same for the upcoming year.
Then when rollover is complete, you just confirm the Grading Period ID number is correctly tied to the correct report card.
Learn more about Grading Periods by visiting Set Grading Periods.
1. Click on the Grades tab.
2. Report Card Year Duplicator. This is our "one button" solution that will automatically duplicate all 4 elements above, sequentially in the correct order.
If nothing (field groups, print groups, report cards) is detected in your session, you will get the above screen and prompt. If you do get a prompt that you cannot use this tool, it is because someone already began building or duplicating portions of your previous report cards and this tool is not longer an option.
Please confirm that the Source and Destination years are correct. Take note of the Session Type, as the tool is not designed to duplicate from a Normal session into a Summer session or vice versa.
3. Click Duplicate.
An additional pop-up will appear to confirm the academic years and that the process will take a few minutes.
4. Select OK to confirm and begin the Report Card Year Duplicator process
If process is successfully executed, you should get the following message "Successfully started Report Card Year Duplication. You may monitor the progress here".
5. Click on the here link to be taken to the Scheduled Jobs page to see the details of that process.
Once the Status is "Finished" and 100%, please check to ensure your Print Groups, Field Groups, Report Cards, and Overlays have successfully copied over into your current session.
It is important to review the new report cards for the new year. Confirm report cards, sharing, structure, data links (if and when linking to gradebooks), and fields connected to assessments and/or custom reports (when applicable), are set up in support of the upcoming year. Adjust field settings to field groups especially if changing grading practices or using new, time specific custom reports.
Why Confirm and Adjust?
It is always recommended to review your Report Cards prior to entry. Make sure all of the elements are working as to be expected. Adjustments will need to be made to areas that are linked to Custom Reports or even specific standards when linking to Gradebooks or Assessments. So it is our best recommendation to review your setup as soon as you have rolled over.
Get Started with Confirmations and Adjustments
1. Ensure your overlays have duplicated over by proceeding to Grades > Report Cards. Click on one Report Card (Grade 1 Trimester 1) and look over the overlay page to see that blocks have carried over.
2. If you do have language versions, ensure those overlays also duplicated over.
3. If all looks good, you may proceed now to rename any of the following as necessary: Report Card Names, Print Group Names, Field Group Names, Field Names. This is only needed
4. Check fields tied to custom reports and gradebooks, to ensure linking success.
- If custom reports are tied to a specific date and time, you will need to create new fields tied to new reports. Visit Create Custom Reports for Report Cards for best practices and guidance.
- If gradebook practices have changed for field groups or areas like Reading or Mathematics, then new fields will have to be setup to support the gradebook you are changing too. Visit Admin's Guide to Setting Up Report Cards for Standards Based Gradebooks.
Now that your report cards have been rolled over, you may need to revisit some creation and setup tips if adjustments are needed. Visit Elementary Admin: Setup to assist you.