This document will assist you in importing transcript data from your current student information system into Illuminate. This is the primary transcript specific documentation for DnA system administrators.
Grades, View Available Grades, Create Grades, Edit Grades, View Transfer Grade Terms, Create Transfer Grade Terms, Edit Transfer Grade Terms
Important Things to Note
- A unique transcript record is determined by the following five fields together: Import Student ID, Course ID, Academic Year, Site ID, and Term Name.
- Field 7: Course ID should refer to a course in your courses.txt file.
- Field 14: Final Mark is the grade or mark the student received for the course and must exist in your grade list.
- Fields 15 and 16: Units Attempted and Units Earned are required to have an actual value. If the value is 0, the record is considered null and will not be available for custom reporting.
- The required fields are the absolute minimum requirements. However, the more data that you provide, the more comprehensive your data in Illuminate will be. Why not include all available data?
If any of the required fields are not provided or if any of the required fields do not align to the designated field types or values, the entire record will not import. Instead, those records will generate errors in your Core Data Import Log. Those errors indicate that you are missing transcript credits and grades and must be resolved for accurate transcript data.
- First things first, assign yourself or the person managing the transcript import the appropriate permissions listed above.
- Create the grades assigned in your student information system in Illuminate. You will create these grades in the Grade List. This allows the import tool to map the student record correctly in Illuminate. If the grade has not been established in the Grade List, the record will be rejected. Access the step by step guide: Grade List.
- Under Site Management, edit each site that has students from your file to indicate the transcript grade levels. For assistance in this process, read Site Management.
- Lastly create the transfer terms under your admin cog wheel. Transfer terms represent the terms that house the student records in your file. For example, any historic grades will need to have transfer grades set up to match the term start and end dates. Follow the step-by-step guide Creating Transfer Terms.
You can either import your transcripts.txt file once or add it to your nightly automation. For a one-time import, it is important to note that choosing the Add import setting for transcripts can easily add duplicate transcript data. It simply appends the data that is in the file to the data in Illuminate. It does not look for an existing transcript record matching the transcript record in the file and import only new records. This should only be selected if you are certain the transcript file you are importing represents only new data.
Replace is the default setting for a manual import. For every student ID in the transcript file, the import process will first remove all transcript data in Illuminate connected to that student ID and replace it with the transcript data in the file. This is the default behavior and is recommended for ongoing transcript imports. This, however, only works when the transcript files that are being imported always represent all transcript data for all students. Remember if you want the data to be available in Illuminate, you need to include it in the file so that is processed with every single import.
For a one-time import of your transcripts.txt file, follow our step-by-step guide.
To add the file to your nightly automation, follow our step-by-step guide.
Pro Tip: Since the transcript data does not change often, it is not necessary for DnA or ISE districts to include the transcripts.txt file as part of your nightly automation. ISI clients should only import transcript data with the initial data loads as any subsequent changes can be managed through the user interface.
Meta Data for Custom Reporting
- The meta data will need to be installed by our team. Notify your implementation manager or our support team at [email protected]
- Enable the Students: Transcripts category in Manage Custom Reporting Data and share that category with the appropriate people.
Transcripts Widget for the Student Profile
- The widget will need to be enabled by our team. Notify your implementation manager or our support team at [email protected]
- Prebuilt Reports
Transcripts or Transcript Generation
- While you have the ability to set up transcript configurations, it is not advisable to use DnA for transcripts as they will not be generated using live data and final grades are not reportable outside of ISI.
Secondary Grades or Secondary Report Cards
- Secondary grades are included in state reporting and cannot be reported through DnA.
GPA Ranking or GPA Calculations
- GPA calculations require secondary final grades which cannot be calculated live in DnA. A GPA calculation for a student would only be generated based on their imported transcript data.