If you’re reading this document, you are most likely interested in adding more valuable data into your Illuminate installation. This is great news! You are taking another step closer to leveraging the power of Illuminate as an educational intelligence platform. Having all of the data at your fingertips means that you are better able to help the students you serve become college and career ready. The even better news is that any data you can extract and align to the Illuminate specs (https://www.illuminateed.com/downloads) can be automated for import using the Illuminate import tools. This document will provide you with some questions and next steps to help you determine the best dataset to import next.
Before you start preparing your files or extracting data, there are some important questions you should think through. We recommend partnering with others in your district team as you talk through these questions. We've found that a team approach is key to making the best decisions regarding your long-term goals. A great place to start would be with someone who is extremely knowledgeable about your student information system and the way you are handling the data at its origin. Then look for another team member who has a vision for how the data needs to be and can be used within Illuminate.
Your implementation manager would love to walk through this process with you to make sure you are set up for success and provide any additional insight based on their experiences with other districts walking through the process.
- Are your core data imports going well? Are you including enough of the data that the imports currently support? Or are you only importing the required fields? If not, you might want to focus on fine-tuning your core imports before moving on to additional data. For more information on maximizing your core data imports, read this article.
- Why are you wanting to import this additional data?
- How do you plan to use this data in Illuminate?
- Are there already reports that you are looking forward to using that will leverage this additional data?
- Is a full automated import the right approach? Would occasional imports into a summary assessment get you your desired outcome?
- Is this the best time for your district to complete this process? While the imports will not adversely affect your daily use of the system, winter and summer breaks normally allow for more dedicated time to make sure that the process is a success from beginning to end, resulting in comprehensive live data in Illuminate.
- Have you talked to your implementation manager about how you will use the data and how to start getting this data loaded?
Assuming you have satisfactorily answered the questions above, the next thing to think about is which dataset you should be importing next. What are your long-term goals for Illuminate? What are your district initiatives that Illuminate could you help you accomplish? If seeing how benchmark assessments align to students’ final marks is important, then maybe you should start with transcripts. Maybe looking at high absenteeism is a big initiative. If so, attendance may be the right place to start. Ultimately, these are questions only you and your team can answer, but this is where your implementation manager will be a great partner.
Now that you know what data you want to import, there are two key things you should do:
- Review the data spec for the data you are about to import. Make sure that you can extract data from your system that is aligned to the spec. Pay special attention to all of the required fields.
- Review the relevant help documents for this dataset and the import process. Our help documents will give you more context about the dataset that you are interesting in importing. Search Data Import Tools to find a number of helpful documents that explain the fields, requirements, recommendations, and common issues that users face with each dataset. You'll find related resources at the bottom of this document.
Pro Tip: Extracting the data from your SIS could take some time and additional work on your part. It may be necessary to partner with a data technician at your district who is familiar with querying your SIS or making changes to existing queries. If things are taking too long, or if things are not making sense, don’t ever hesitate to pick up the phone and call the support team or reach out to your implementation manager. Getting additional data imported into your Illuminate installation is one of the keys to really harnessing the reporting power of the Illuminate platform. We’re happy you’re going down this road, and we are ready to support!