Note: Before running the Student Absence Summary (STAS) extract, ensure all absences have been reconciled (including independent study pending and unverified absences). This is often the reason for attendance values not totaling correctly.
What is the STAS?
The Student Absence Summary (STAS) is part of the end-of-year submission to CALPADS.
Where to Start
Go to Reports > (Admin) State Reporting
Select CALPADS Student Absence Summary (STAS)
To review the attendance data that will pull into the STAS Extract file, click View STAS Extract
To review the full year's data, enter the Start Date as the first day of the term and the End Date as the last day of the term.
To create your file for CALPADS submission (in the format CALPADS will expect), click Create
- Has all attendance been reconciled?
- If not, staff should review all unreconciled attendance (including independent study pending and unverified absences)
- Has ADA been refreshed?
- If not, trigger an ADA refresh. If the school year has ended before today's date, please contact Illuminate Support.
- Is Home and Hospital reporting correctly?
- Review student attendance program override(s)
- If student has Home/Hospital instruction at the same school as regular instruction; then the student should only have 1 STAS record. This record will depend on which attendance the student had majority attendance. IF majority of attendance was Home/Hospital then the Yes value would appear in the Student Absence Summary Data Collection Exemption Indicator and all columns to the right of that column would appear Null. IF majority of attendance was taken at school with regular instruction you would subtract the days in home hospital from the students Expected Attendance Days and would not have the Yes value within the Student Absence Summary Data Collection Exemption Indicator column.
- If a student has a separate school where Home/Hospital instruction takes place the student would have two records in the STAS extract. 1. Would have the school student as regular instruction 2. Would have a Yes value in the Student Absence Summary Data Collection Exemption Indicator column and Null values for all the columns to the right of that column.
For identifying and defining the error message for STAS submission, please reference the CALPADS Error List on the CALPADS System Documentation site.
Our support team is available to help troubleshoot issues with our CALPADS extracts by way of guiding where to edit/update data in Illuminate. If you are in need of assistance, feel free to call or email Illuminate support with a student or staff example and what you are expecting to see or not see in your extract. If you are needing assistance with what data should or should not be reported, or what code(s) the state is expecting, please review CALPADS System Documentation or reach out to CALPADS support.
Now that you have reviewed how Illuminate can support with CALPADS, see our CALPADS Know-It-All for what's required for our extracts/tools.