This lesson will guide you through setting up the Illuminate / Canvas integration. This is useful for teachers who need to push Illuminate assessment scores to their Canvas Gradebooks.
The integration relies upon two data requirements. Provided these two data requirements are met, an integration between Canvas and Illuminate is possible.
Required Permissions: Manage Third Party Integrations, Push assessments to Canvas (LMS) Gradebook
- You will need to procure a developer ID and key from your instance of Canvas. This can typically be found by clicking Admin > Developer Keys.
2. When creating a developer key in Canvas, place a specific redirect URI into the key. This URI is unique to the client's instance of Illuminate.
- Sample "Redirect URI" for Illuminate's demo site: https://demo.illuminateed.com/live?page=Integration_CanvasController&action=oauth2Response
- Please note the "/live" portion as this is subject to change from client to client.
3. After the ID and key are created, you will have to refer back to them when setting up the integration within Illuminate.
- Necessary Permissions
- For integration Setup: "Manage Third Party Integrations" = Yes
- For pushing scores to Canvas: "Push assessments to Canvas (LMS) Gradebook" = Yes
- Click the Administration Gear > Integrations.
- Next to Canvas, click View.
- Once the integration has been completed, "Canvas" will show under the "Configured Integrations" tab.
- Enter your canvas host information, as well as your ID and key. Then click Authenticate.
5. After clicking Authenticate, you will be asked to authorize Illuminate's access to your instance of Canvas.
6. Upon successful authorization, you will be directed back to Illuminate and will see a screen similar to the one above.
7. The last step in completing the Canvas integration is to enable the "Push assessments to Canvas" permission for users.
"No courses showing in the dropdown list for teacher"
Things to check:
Do they have users that do show their courses?
- If yes, the account does not have access to the teacher’s account
- Otherwise, they might need to check their teacher mapping
Regarding the mapping, there are several options:
- DnA Local User ID / Canvas SIS ID
- DNA User Email / Canvas SIS Login
- DNA Username / Canvas SIS Login
- DnA Local Student ID / Canvas SIS ID
- DNA Student Email / Canvas SIS Login