This lesson reviews the option to create an NPS or Non Public School Site.
Great question! Basically, you are creating a placeholder site to transfer all your NPS students to within your Illuminate instance. You will set up one site to be used district-wide, give site affiliations to anyone who may to need to transfer a student to or from the NPS placeholder, and update various code tables in order for your staff to correctly place students. This is a state reportable option, and once setup is complete - the only additional maintenance will be to the necessary code tables.
ADA is tracked outside of Illuminate and entered directly into the CDE ADA software. Plan to keep track of all the records the NPS school sends you, that will be your audit trail for ADA.
To begin select the Admin Wheel > School > Site Management.
1. Choose Add Site.
*This ability is permission-based. If you do not see it, contact your System Admin/Implementation Manager.
Complete the following information to create the NPS Site:
2. Site Name can be anything you want, although we recommend identifying this placeholder site as the district NPS site.
3. The State Site Id should include your 7 digit district CDS code followed by 0000001, as the ending digits are required for CALPADS reporting.
4. Select the Site Type as Special Education Facility.
5. Start Grade is the lowest grade offered in your organization.
6. End Grade is the highest grade offered in your organization.
7. Scroll down the screen to before the Civil Rights Data Collection section.
8. 'Exclude from State Reporting' should be set to Yes.
9. Don’t forget to set 'Non Public School' to Yes.
While you can ignore the CRDC reporting fields at this time, certain fields will need to be populated in support of CRDC.
Next, you will have to add and manage some areas of Code Management.
Visit Admin Gear > Other > Code Management to begin.
You will be updating two different code tables. You can either start typing the name of the code table you want to edit, or push on the down arrow to see a drop down list of the various code tables in the system.
1. Using the drop-down, search and find the Special Ed Count and Non-Public/Private Schools code table.
2. Select Load.
The code table does not come auto-populated with all the NPS school’s in the state. Add any that your district partners with, into the code table as appropriate.
3. Select Add Code to add.
To add a code, complete the following:
4. Leave System Key and System Key Translation blank.
5. Code Key should be no more than 3 characters, it will be a descriptor.
6. Code Translation should be the full name of the NPS.
7. Site shared with the district, or a specific site if only one site has ability to send students there.
8. State ID this is the full CDS code for the NPS school the organization will share their CDS code with you.
9. (Optional, but helpful) Sort Order can create a permanent sort order for the code table you are creating.
20. Select Save to confirm changes.
Now that you've created the NPS site, you'll need to enroll students as appropriate.