The new Custom Forms Translations feature allows you to create and manage field level translations for parents to view when completing a Custom Form. These translations will be managed via a new “Manage Translations” page.
There are four permissions that are used with Custom Forms Translations:
- Manage Translations - This enables the Manage Translations link in the navigation menu.
- View Translations - This allows a user to view (but not edit) Custom Forms Translations on the Manage Translations page.
- Edit Translations - This allows a user to edit translations on the Manage Translations page.
- Enable Languages - This allows a user to enable different languages for use with the Manage Translations feature.
Where to Start
1. Click on the Admin Gear.
2. Under Other, select Manage Translations.
Step 1: Enable Languages
This step allows you to select which languages are available for use with the Custom Forms Translations feature. This step only needs to be completed once per language.
1. Click Enable Languages.
2. Enable the desired language and press Save. NOTE: We currently only support Spanish translations.
Step 2: Manage Translations
This step allows you to create a translation for each Custom Form field, or use Google Translate to auto-populate all fields on the page. By default, all common fields are populated with translations provided by Illuminate Education.
1. Select the language you wish to translate to.
2. Select the field group to translate.
3. Click the Edit button.
4. The table that displays will show the English field name in the left column, and the translation in the right column.
5. Type in translations in the right hand column, or click the Google Translate button to auto-populate all translations. NOTE: Using the Google Translate button will replace ALL translations displayed on the page.
6. Click Save.
Step 3: Form Builder
Building a form is unchanged from the current workflow, however, we’ve updated the page to easily identify missing translations and preview the form in each language.
- Navigate to Admin Gear > Manage Custom Forms.
- Create a new Custom Form or Edit an Existing Custom Form.
- An indicator will now display next to any field which has been translated. If there is a translation missing, it can be updated via the Manage Translations page.
- Click the Textblock button to create a new textblock.
- There are now tabs in the text area for each language.
- Navigate to each tab to populate the textblock text for that language.
- If you would like to use Google Translate, fill out the English tab, then navigate to the Spanish tab, and click the Google Translate button.
Preview: Our form preview feature now allows previewing in different languages.
- In the form builder, click the Preview button.
- Use the Select Language drop down to select a language to preview.
Step 4: Portal
When a parent clicks the Fill it Out button on a form in Portal, they will now be able to select which language to fill out the form in.