Who should be involved in this validation
- Illuminate Data Lead
- District Human Resources/Curriculum & Instruction Department
- Site Lead
The Users.txt file is another key file as it is the one that brings in all user information. As such, it is one of those files where errors can have long-lasting frustrating effects for both state reporting and for end-users. Always test users.txt in the sandbox first to ensure that the data is brought in accurately
AVC 1 (Duplicate Users)
A common error with the users.txt import stems from potential existing errors in your current SIS and errors during the extract of the SIS.This is your chance to clean up your users file. Prior to import, you can remove any user who never logged in, add additional data, etc. Additionally, when pulling from your existing SIS, sometimes errors will occur where a user’s User ID is changed; this will result in a duplicate user being created in Illuminate.
- To begin, click on your admin gear and select User Management from the dropdown.
*Note: You can also navigate the system using the Quick Switcher. If you are using a PC, hit CTRL and the letter K on your keyboard. If you are using a Mac, hit command and the letter K. Next, you will see a pop-up modal on your screen. Type the menu heading or task you want to complete, in this case you would type “User Management”.
- This will pull up a list of all users - this list will show their User ID, User Name, as well as whether this is an active/inactive user account. Remember, inactive should be used when pulling in user accounts of prior employees.
- You can review this list of Users by scrolling through all users, page by page, or by downloading a list of all user via the Excel icon .
- If any users appear as duplicates, please correct in existing file to prevent additional duplicates from being created and work with our data team to correct the duplicate user.
AVC 2 (State Reported Fields)
As mentioned above, time spent validating the accuracy of imported data is time well spent. Taking the time to fill in required state reporting fields will make life much better for your state reporting team. To help avoid this, we have created some reports to check accuracy. This report is looking only at active users who are missing any of the key state reported fields.
From the users.txt, key state reported fields are: User ID, First Name, Last Name, Middle Name, Birth Date, Gender, State Educator ID, Race Code, Is Hispanic?, User Job Title, Staff Education Level, User Hire Date, User Exit Date, Position Status Code, Total Years Educational Service, Total Years in District. These fields align to the following columns from our data spec: 1-6, 10, 15, 16, 21-24, 26-28
- Use report Data Check - Users.txt AVC 2 (State Reported Fields).
- For California Districts and CMOs, you can also use the following reports:CALPADS Series - Staff Demographics Report, CALPADS Series - All User’s Job Classification and Assignment Report and CALPADS Series - Teacher’s Job Classification Report