This lesson will guide you through the process of creating a Multimedia Item in the Illuminate Itembank. This means you can create questions that are based on short videos that you require students to watch. These videos can be housed on your computer or taken from Vimeo or You Tube.
Create a New Item
1. Click Create.
2. Next click New Item.
3. Select Next.
Note: You may also start from the Items tab, then click Create Item.
1. Item Type- Select the item type you are creating, in this case you can use Multiple Choice to create a multimedia item.
2. Click Teacher Instructions to type Teacher Instructions (e.g., Read the question aloud to your students) if applicable.
3. Stem- This is where the video will show up, and where you will type in your question.
4. Click on the Multimedia Icon.
Once you click on the multimedia icon, you will get the 'Insert a video' pop up:
5. Embeddable Video URL- Allows you to insert Vimeo or You Tube videos by pasting the URL here. (See Vimeo specific steps below.) The URL must include the https:// i.e. https://player.vimeo.com/video/# instead of just "//player.vimeo.com/video/#
6. Upload a Video- Allows you to upload a file (Video OR Audio) that is saved on your computer. Video must be in mp4 format with H.264 encoding only and max 20 MB and Audio must be in mp3 format.
7. Title- Give the video/audio a title.
8. Select Viewer Size- If you would like to customize the size of the video box on the screen, you may do so here.
9. Click Insert Video/Audio.
If uploading a Vimeo video:
1. When looking at the Vimeo video, click on the "Share" icon (paper airplane) in the top right corner of the screen.
2. Under the "Embed" option, there will be a URL within quotation marks for embedding the video. The URL will always be in the format of "https://player.vimeo.com/video/#" where "#" represents the Vimeo video ID number. For example, in this screenshot, the # is 107011435. Therefore, the embedding URL is https://player.vimeo.com/video/107011435.
3. The embed URL cannot be copied separately from the rest of the embed text, so it must be typed by hand. Alternatively, you can just have https://player.vimeo.com/video/# ready to go and insert the number which can be found in any URL associated with the video.
Paste the URL into the Video URL box as seen above, test for quality, and you are ready to go!
Finalize your question
The yellow box that appears will be where your video will go, type your question above or underneath the video box.
Click Save & Continue.
1. Enter the answer choices in the space provided. Answer choices are options a student may pick from in a closed-response (e.g., multiple choice) assessment; these include the correct answer and the distractors.
2. Mark the correct answer by clicking on the black checkmark to turn it green on the appropriate answer choice.
3. You may add an additional answer choice by clicking Add Choice.
Note: If creating an assessment for scanning through Grade Cam (using the printed answer sheets), you can only have up to 9 answer choices. In other words, if you create an item with 10 answer choices, only 9 bubbles will be printed on the answer sheet, therefore, the item will be invalid. However, if administering the test online, over 9 answer choices will work since the item and answer choices display online.
4. Click the red minus (-) icon next to an answer choice that you would like to remove. Use the arrow keys to move the answer choice up or down.
5. You may enter a rationale (see below) for each distractor to explain why a student may have chosen a particular answer option. For example, if a student selects "B. 10" for the question "What is 8 + 12?" he might have forgotten to carry the "1". Entering a rationale could help other teachers who have access to the item in reteaching concepts missed. Click the Up Arrow next to Rationale to enter the rationale.
6. Click Save once you have finished, then go to the Details tab.
1. Choose the bank where the item will belong. The Public item bank is an Illuminate Education community-driven bank where items contained in that bank is accessible to any user. If you only want your item available to you, choose -None-. Districts may create their own banks to add to this list. Please contact customer service for assistance.
2. Select the Language used in the item (i.e., English or Spanish). The red asterisk (*) next to Language indicates this field is required. Mark No or Yes to Exclude Stem from displaying to students. For example, an item may contain a passage that should be read aloud by the test proctor, but should not be included in the test booklet for students to view. The red asterisk (*) next to Exclude Stem indicates this field is required.
3. If the item requires a specific layout format that should not be changed, pick the Layout Format for the item: 2 Column, 2 Column Table, Full Page, Distractors Side By Side, Distractors Horizontal 2 by 2, Distractors Vertical 2 by 2.
4. Insert a Page Break before or after the question if needed.
5. Reference Material- If a question needs something like a Periodic Table, Formula Sheet, etc. you can add this as an image file and students will be able to access it when answering the question.
6. Click Save, then go to the Standards tab.
Identify Item Standards
1. Select the standards set, subject and the grade level for the standard(s) to which you will be tying to your item. As you select the drop-down menus the standards will be automatically loaded on the page. To find a specific standard by key word or standard code, use the search box then click Search.
2. You can click the arrow symbol to expand the strand or sub-strand and see the standards housed within.
3. Here you can see an expanded selection.
4. Select the standard(s) by clicking on the bolded standard title. Once linked, you will see a chain link show next to the linked standard(s).
5. The standard(s) selected will appear in the Linked Standards area. To remove a standard, click the 'X' next to it. You can continue to search and select more standards as needed.
You may preview your item by going to the Preview tab. The item preview will show the item step, distractor, correct answer (answer option letter is in green), aligned standard code, and other item information.
Note: The preview does not display in the item layout that you may have chosen in the Details step.
Publish is the final step of the item creation process. Prior to publishing, if you would like to make changes to your item, go to the appropriate tab to make your edits. When you are sure that your item is in final form and can be made available to add to assessments, click Publish.
Note: Once an item is published, it will be locked from further editing. To edit the item after it has been published, a new revision must be created.
Also, once an Item is published, you can add it directly to an existing assessment by clicking on the 'Add To' button. This will populate a list of assessments you can add this item to with one click.
View Item Revisions
The Revisions tab lists all versions of the item (including the master item), that has been revised once published. Once an item is published and added to an assessment, any further revisions of that item will not be updated in the assessment unless a user clicks on 'Update Assessments using old Item Revisions'. NOTE: If you decide to to this (For example, you realize that the answer choice was actually supposed to be A, not C) it WILL change all student scores associated with that assessment.When adding an item with several revisions to an assessment, the most recent revision will be used. To view an item revision, click on the number.