This lesson will guide you through the process of creating a Selectable Text Item within the Illuminate Itembank. This allows students the ability to select words in a sentence as their answer choice.
Where to Start
1. Click on Assessments.
2. Under Itembank, select Visit Itembank.
Create a New Item
1. Click Create.
2. Next click New Item.
3. Select Next.
Note: You may also start from the Items tab. Then click Create Item.
1. Item Type- Select Highlight - Selectable Text from the item type dropdown.
2. Click Teacher Instructions to type Teacher Instructions (e.g., Read the question aloud to your students) if applicable. These are only visible to teachers on the teacher booklet.
3. Type your instructions into the Stem box.
4. Click Save & Continue.
Now you have to input and set the possible answer choices. This creates the text you want students to select from.
1. Select the checkmark beside the correct answer choices. The checkmark will turn green. You can choose more than one correct answer choice.
2. The Selectable button will be on (or green) by default to allow the student to click on it as an answer choice. You can make all the words selectable choices, but only the ones you marked as correct will be considered correct for scoring purposes. You can also make only some answer choices selectable. Click on the Selectable button to make the button blue. It will now say Not Selectable.
3. Max Selections- This allows you to limit the number of words or phrases that can be highlighted by students. Leaving the default of 0 will allow them to select as many of the selectable words or phrases as they wish.
4. Answer Choice Scoring- You can customize whether a student will get credit when at least one correct answer is selected or when all correct answer choices have been selected. You also have the option to have each correct choice be worth +1 point and incorrect choices be worth -1 point.
5. Press Save.
Selectable text items are designed to score automatically when answers are submitted online. Adding a rubric will disable the auto-scoring feature and require the teacher to manually score the question in Administration > Enter/Edit. Please see our step-by-step guide Advanced Scoring Options for detailed information about using rubrics with this item type.
1. Choose the bank where the item will be stored. The Public item bank is an Illuminate Education community-driven bank where items contained in that bank are accessible to any user. If you only want your item available to you, choose -None-. Districts may create their own banks to add to this list. Please contact our support team for assistance.
2. Select the Language used in the item (i.e., English, Spanish, German, or French). The red asterisk (*) next to Language indicates this field is required. Mark No or Yes to Exclude Stem from displaying to students. For example, an item may contain a passage that should be read aloud by the test proctor but should not be included in the test booklet for students to view. The red asterisk (*) next to Exclude Stem indicates this field is required. Also required is the Response Language, as in what language the students should be responding in.
3. If the item requires a specific layout format that should not be changed, pick the Layout Format for the item: 2 Column, 2 Column Table, Full Page, Distractors Side By Side, Distractors Horizontal 2 by 2, or Distractors Vertical 2 by 2.
4. Insert a Page Break before or after the question if needed.
5. You can enable student tools such as a Ruler or Calculator or add more specific item details like PARCC Claim or SBAC Claims and Targets. You can also Label items for easier searching. (ie Unit 5, Lit - Mark Twain Quiz)
6. Upload a Reference Material for students to reference during testing. If a question needs something like a Periodic Table, Formula Sheet, etc. you can add this as an image file and students will be able to access it when answering the question in online testing.
7. Click Save, then go to the Standards tab.
1. Select the standard type, subject and grade level for the standard(s) you will be linking to your item. As make your selections from the dropdowns, the standards will be loaded on the page below. To find a specific standard by key word or standard code, use the search box and then click Search.
2. You can click the arrow symbol beside each standard title to expand the strand or sub-strand and see the standards grouped beneath.
3. Select the standard(s) by clicking on the standard title. Once linked, you will see a chain link show next to the linked standard(s).
4. The standard(s) you selected will appear under Linked Standards. To remove a standard, click the 'X' next to it. You can continue to search and select more standards as needed.
If your item should refer to a passage, you can search for existing passages in this step. If you would like to add a passage to the Itembank, see the "Create a Passage" lesson.
1. Select the Bank to which the the passage belongs.
2. Enter the title or key words for a specific search, then click Search.
Once you click Search from the Search for a Passage step, the results will be returned on your screen.
1. Choose the correct passage in the search results by clicking on the title.
2. A preview of the passage will appear to the right.
3. Click Link Passage to associate the passage to your item. Once you link the passage, the title of the passage will appear in the Linked Passage area at the top of the page.
You may preview your item by going to the Step 5 View tab. The item preview will show the item step, distractor, correct answer (answer option letter is in green), aligned standard code, and other item information.
Note: This preview does not display in the specific item layout that you may have chosen in the Details step.
Once your item has been saved, you will see a Preview button. This button allows you to see what the item will look like during online testing or in the printed booklet.
Publish is the final step of the item creation process. Prior to publishing, if you would like to make changes to your item, go to the appropriate tab to make your edits. When you are sure that your item is in final form and can be made available to add to assessments, click Publish.
Note: Once an item is published, it will be locked from further editing. To edit the item after it has been published, a new revision must be created.
Also, once an Item is published, you can add it directly to an existing assessment by clicking on the 'Add To' button. This will populate a list of assessments you can add this item to with one click.
The Revisions tab lists all versions of the item (including the master item), that has been revised after it was published. Once an item is published and added to an assessment, any further revisions of that item will not be updated in the assessment unless a user clicks on 'Update Assessments using old Item Revisions'. NOTE: Perhaps you realize that the answer choice was actually supposed to be A, not C. If you decide you need to revise the item and update the assessments using the older revisions, it WILL change all student scores associated with that assessment. When adding an item with several revisions to an assessment, the most recent revision will be used. To view an item revision, click on the number.