This Classification item type allows students to answer the item prompt by dragging answer choices into a category. This question is automatically scored. This lesson provides step-by-step guidance on creating a Classification Item using NEW Item Bank.
Where to Start
- Select Assessments.
- Select Browse Item Bank NEW.
Create a New Item
- Select Create Item at the top right hand side of the screen.
- Use the dropdown to select Classification as the item type.
- Enter the item Prompt. The prompt directs students on how to answer the question.
- To insert a line break in the Prompt, use shift-return (or shift-enter, depending on the keyboard).
- Enter the Row Label. This tells students what type of categories are displayed.
- By default, two categories display. Select Add Category to create a new category. Classification items involve placing answer choices into categories. Each category is represented by a cell or box, but depending on what labels are used and omitted, various sort of layouts can be achieved. See the Additional Examples section below to see other layout options.
- Enter the Category Labels.
- Enter the Choice Label. Students sort the choices into the correct categories.
- By default, three choices display. Select Add a Choice to create additional choices.
- Enter the Choices.
- Use the 2 line button to drag the choices into the correct Category.
- Use the minus button to remove a Choice from a Category.
The following layout uses only category labels. Row labels would usually be left blank for this sort of layout, but here they have been labeled “[blank]” for added clarity:
To achieve a column-style layout, just use the Settings panel to set “Categories per row” to the number of categories you wish to use here, 3:
To force narrower columns, set “Categories per row” to a number that is higher than the number of categories you are using (up to 6):
To achieve a row-style layout, use the Settings panel to set “Categories per row” to 1, and put the category names into the row label fields rather than the category label fields, which can be left blank:
To achieve a matrix-style layout, use category labels for the cells in the first row as column labels, but omit category labels for cells in later rows. Use row labels for the other classification dimension:
- To link a Passage to the item, select the Book icon.
- To link Standard(s) to the item, select the Three Pages icon.
- To add Tags to the item, select the Tag icon.
- Additional Settings are available:
- Lock Choice Order: The order of choices is determined when in item create. The choices will not be randomized during online testing.
- Categories Per Row: Determines the amount of Categories displayed on each row.
- Choices Position: Determines where choices appear relative to the Categories.
- Allow Multiple Placements: Students are able to place choices into multiple Categories.
- Item Stem: Include Item Stem field.
Users must link at least 1 standard when creating an item. If attempting to publish an item without standards, an error message will appear asking for standards to be aligned before publishing again.
- Select Item Preview.
- Users can select to preview the item from a Student or Instructor role.
- Test the item by dragging the Choices into the Categories..
- Use the Check Answer slider to verify the answer key.
- When the item is completed select Done.
- To make the item available to use in an assessment, select Publish.
- To save an item that isn't ready to publish, select Save Draft.
- To delete the item, select Discard.
Once items are Published, users can Lock, Edit, or Delete the item.