Student Groups allow you to classify students by any category of your choosing so you can share access to those students with other users and/or view the site and its reports through the lens of that group. For example, you might want to assign students to an "After School Tutoring" student group based on participation, assign Special Ed. students to a case carrier based on selected students or Special Ed. classification, assign students to a "Struggling Students" student group based on test scores, assign students by name and/or section to a teacher who has a job share with another teacher and her roster, etc.... since you can design any student group label, the possibilities are endless. You can then share that student group with other users and give them "visibility" permissions so they can opt to log in under the student group to gain access to the students within (as well as their test scores, etc.) when viewing particular reports (e.g., Student Profile Report, custom report, etc.). Meanwhile, you can also give yourself "visibility" to log in under your student group (for the same reasons).
This lesson will show you how to add or remove students from a student group.
Where to Start
1. Click Students.
2. Under the General section, select Student Groups.
View Student Group Details
You are now on the student group's Summary tab. Here you will see how many students have been added to the student group so far (e.g., in the example above, students were added student by student as opposed to by grade level, program, report, or section). Note you can also click View Student List to see a comprehensive list of all the students in your student group.
Add or Delete Students
Students can be added by grade levels, programs, custom reports, sections, and student (manually). They can be removed under the tab by which they were added:
1. Grade Levels (e.g. Add all 7th graders to the student group; administrators can opt to create such a group and share it with users they want to then use to create student groups from students within that particular grade)
2. Programs (e.g. Students with 504 plans, GATE, McKinney Vento, etc.)
3. Reports (e.g. You can create a custom report ahead of time which you've filtered to only include students with particular test scores, demographics, etc., and then use that report to populate your student group)
4. Sections (e.g. By enrollment/period)
5. Students (e.g. Adding Start/End Dates for students or removing students)
6. Add Students (e.g. Add students to the group by name)
7. Share (e.g. With another user, grade level, etc.)
Adding students by grade level, program, custom report or section will make your group dynamic. That means when new students fit the selection criteria, they will automatically be added to the group. When you add students manually, the group will only reflect the students you manually select.
You can combine criteria by adding students from every sub-navigation link. Please note: adding students does not work like filters, limiting your selection. All students that meet each of those individual criteria will be added regardless of whether or not they fit the other criteria.
Example: Delete a Student
For example, if students were added via the Students tab, you may click that tab and then click the Remove check box next to the name of a student you wish to delete. You can also input an end date instead so that you maintain a history of students in the group. Click Save Changes.
When prompted if you are sure you want to do this, click Yes.
Example: Add a Student
1. Select a Site.
2. Select an Enrollment/Roster Date.
3. Click Find Students. *The rest of the filters shown are optional and are found by clicking the Additional Filters button.
4. Once you have clicked Find Students, a list of students matching your search criteria will populate. Select the student(s) you wish to add by clicking in the Select check box. You can also select all students on this page by clicking All.
5. Click Add Students.
Once added, you will receive the confirmation message seen in green above. You will also see a list of students currently in this group. To add additional students, click on the Add Students tab again.
You might be interested in other lessons in the Student Groups manual.