Student Groups allow you to classify students by any category of your choosing so you can use them in conjunction with scheduling packages to schedule/exclude students from course packages quickly and efficiently. You can also share access to those students with other users and/or view the site and its reports through the lens of that group. For example, you might want to assign students to an "Honors English" student group based on grades, assign Special Ed. students to a case carrier based on selected students or Special Ed. classification, assign students to a "Struggling Students" student group based on test scores, assign students by name and/or section to a teacher who has a job share with another teacher and her roster, etc. Since you can design any student group label, the possibilities are endless. You can then share that student group with other users and give them "visibility" permissions so they can opt to log in under the student group to gain access to the students within (as well as their test scores, etc.) when viewing particular reports (e.g., Student Profile Report, custom report, etc.). Meanwhile, you can also give yourself "visibility" to log in under your student group (for the same reasons).
This lesson will show you how to create a student group.
View Student Group List
Now you will see all student groups you have access to (i.e., student groups you created and/or that have been shared with you). See the "Find a Student Group" lesson if you want more details on your options on this screen.
Click Create Group if you want to add a new student group to this list.
If you want to have the option of logging in under your student group to narrow your viewpoint to those students when using the system (e.g., to view those students, their test scores, etc. when viewing reports such as the Student Profile Report, custom report, etc.), then:
1. Select Yes for Visibility Group, or keep at the default of No if this group is not needed as a visibility group.
2. Click Save Changes.
You can add students to your student group by:
1. Grade Levels (e.g. Add all 7th graders to the student group; administrators can opt to create such a group and share it with users they want to then use to create student groups from students within that particular grade)
2. Programs (e.g. Students with 504 plans, GATE, McKinney Vento, etc.)
3. Reports (e.g. You can create a custom report ahead of time which you've filtered to only include students with particular test scores, demographics, etc., and then use that report to populate your student group)
4. Sections (e.g. By enrollment/period)
5. Students (e.g. adding Start/End Dates for students or removing students)
6. Add Students (e.g. add students to the group by name)
7. Share (e.g. with another user, grade level, etc.)
Note you may also use a combination of these approaches. Simply click a category, select grades/programs/reports/sections/students within that category, and then click the Update button on that screen.