This lesson comprises part of student scheduling and covers how to manually place students into sections.
Note that this can be done in conjunction (e.g., before or after) running the Mass Student Scheduler (covered in the next lesson/step). For example, the Student Draft Schedule allows you to make adjustments to individual students after the Mass Student Scheduler has been run (as in cases where a student has a schedule request change, e.g., new grades/scores arrive that dictate a change in course placement), or manually place students (before the automatic scheduler is run) into classes in cases where you do not want the automated scheduler to make decisions on how to schedule a student as is often the case with certain populations such as students in Special Ed. where an IEP dictates specific schedule placements. Students that have manually been scheduled to sections are locked into these sections and the automated Mass Student Scheduler will not override sections that have been manually added.
Where to Start
1. You must be logged in under the school year and site for which you are impacting scheduling. Note (in the upper-right corner of your screen) that you are now logged in under the upcoming school year.
2. If you are not, use the Change Student Set / Site in the upper corner of your screen to log in under the upcoming school year.
1. Click the Scheduling tab.
2. Under Schedule Management, click Student Draft Schedule.
If the Draft Overview page appears, simply select the Current Schedule Version for which you are working with.
You might notice similarities between this screen and the Student Course Request page. However, the pages are a little different as noted below.
If you are not already working with a student you will be prompted to search for a student using the Student Search.
You will see the student's current schedule, featuring:
1. Any sections in which he or she has already been scheduled, and
2. A blank space next to any period he or she will attend but does not yet have a section scheduled.
Delete Section from Student Draft Schedule
If you want to add a different section for an already-scheduled period, you must first delete the section already occupying the space on the student's schedule.
Click the red minus (-) icon after any section to delete it, as pointed out with a red arrow above.
A lock icon indicates that the course has been manually scheduled to the section..
Add Section to Student Draft Schedule
To acquire a list of sections from which to add a section to the student's schedule, use any Course Search criteria by which you'd like to filter the section list, then click Search. Keep in mind that districts vary in terms of their use of department labels. If you use the Department filter and it does not render the list you expect, it could be that your district has not yet assigned department labels to its teachers or courses (and thus sections).
1. After clicking Search, note that you may scroll through the list of sections that appears.
2. A yellow star icon next to a course indicates that the student requested it.
3. A green check check mark icon next to a course indicates that the course was placed on the student's schedule.
To add a section to the student’s schedule, simply drag the desired section on the left (place your mouse cursor over it, "left-click" once but hold the click down) to the blank area after the appropriate period on the right (still holding the click down, move your mouse cursor over the space on the right, as shown above, and then let go of the mouse).
Continue in this fashion until you have added all desired sections to all desired students' schedules.
Mass Schedule Students into Draft Sections by Hand
Use this technique to load a section with one or more students. Start on the Draft Board or the Draft Sections page.
Draft Sections for Multiple Students
- Click on a Section Number
- Click Edit Section
- Click Place Students
- Students requesting the course? - Select Yes
- Student with a schedule opening? - Select Yes
This will return a list of all students requesting the course and have the timeblock available in their schedules.
Are you missing a student from the list? It may be that:
- They don’t have the right course request, OR...
- They’re already scheduled for the timeblock.
- Sort by Grade
- Select the students to be scheduled
- Click Schedule Students
Proceed to the next lesson in this manual for support with the next step.