This lesson comprises part of master scheduling and covers how to link sections to force students who are scheduled into one of the sections to also be scheduled into the linked section(s), whether this is within the same term or over the course of more than one term. For example, semester-long classes such as Civics and Economics are frequently set up as linked pairs. Students who are scheduled into a section of Civics are then immediately scheduled into the linked section of Economics so they remain together as a class.
When two sections are linked, the student must have course requests for both of the courses, or else they cannot be scheduled into the linked pair. A linked section group may contain more than two sections, but the same principle applies: the student must have requests for all of the courses in the linked group in order to be scheduled into it. This link will forge what's known as a "hard constraint," meaning that the automated master schedule builder will create identical class rosters (lists of enrolled students) for all sections linked together, though you can always manually edit this afterward if you need to add or remove any students who are exceptions to the linkage.
Where to Start
1. You must be logged in under the school year and site for which you are impacting scheduling. Note (in the upper-right corner of your screen) that you are now logged in under the upcoming school year.
2. If you are not, use the Change Student Set / Site in the upper corner of your screen to log in under the upcoming school year.
1. Click the Scheduling tab.
2. Under Draft Schedule MGMT, click Linked Sections.
2. Enter a Linked Section Group Name (e.g., something that will help you instantly recognize which courses it links).
3. Click Save.
Add Sections to Linked Section Group
1. Click on the check box next to the section ID of any section you want to link under 'Available Sections'. Note that you may return to this step at a later time to add more sections.
You can quick search via Section ID, Teacher, etc. by using search boxes at the bottom of the page. You can also navigate to multiple pages at the bottom of this box.
2. Click Save. Once save is clicked, these sections have been added. To see them in a list, click 'Linked Section Groups' at the top of the page and that group's sections will be listed.
Edit/Remove Sections from Linked Section Group
If you want to edit/remove a section from the group, start on the Linked Section Groups page:
1. Select the name of the group you wish to edit/remove courses from.
Notice how the section(s) you selected are under a box labeled 'Linked Sections'. Only sections remaining in this box are currently in this group.
2. To remove, select the checkbox under the 'Remove' heading.
3. Press Save. The page will refresh and the course will no longer show under 'Linked Sections'.
4. Note that you can add more sections from the 'Available Sections' area at the bottom. Be sure to press Save after adding as well.
Proceed to the next lesson in this manual for support with the next step.