This lesson comprises part of master scheduling and covers how to link sections to force students who are scheduled into one of the sections to also be scheduled into the linked section(s), whether this is within the same term or over the course of more than one term. For example, semester-long classes such as Civics and Economics are frequently set up as linked pairs. Students who are scheduled into a section of Civics are then immediately scheduled into the linked section of Economics so they remain together as a class.
When two sections are linked, the student must have course requests for both of the courses, or else they cannot be scheduled into the linked pair. A linked section group may contain more than two sections, but the same principle applies: the student must have requests for all of the courses in the linked group in order to be scheduled into it. This link will forge what's known as a "hard constraint," meaning that the automated master schedule builder will create identical class rosters (lists of enrolled students) for all sections linked together, though you can always manually edit this afterward if you need to add or remove any students who are exceptions to the linkage.
Where to Start
1. You must be logged in under the school year and site for which you are impacting scheduling. Confirm in the Control Panel that you are now logged in under the upcoming school year.
2. If you are not, use the Change Student Set / Site in the Control Panel to log in under the upcoming school year.
1. Click the Scheduling tab.
2. Under Draft Schedule MGMT, click Linked Sections.
If the Draft Schedules page appears, simply select the Current Schedule Version for which you are working with the schedule.
2. Enter a Linked Section Group Name (e.g., something that will help you instantly recognize which courses it links).
3. Click Save.
Notice how the section(s) you selected are under a box labeled 'Linked Sections'. Only sections remaining in this box are currently in this group.
2. To remove, select the checkbox under the 'Remove' heading.
3. Press Save. The page will refresh and the course will no longer show under 'Linked Sections'.
4. Note that you can add more sections from the 'Available Sections' area at the bottom. Be sure to press Save after adding as well.
Proceed to the next lesson in this manual for support with the next step.