Language Comments can be assigned to a students language information. Language Comment Category and Type must be enabled and setup by the District Illuminate System Administrator or those with permission within Code Management. Comments are based on visibility and the author or those with appropriate permission can edit or delete comments recorded for a student.
Where to Start
Click Language, then Comments.
If this is the first time accessing a student's information since you have logged into Illuminate, you will be taken to the Advanced Search menu to search for a student. Learn how to use the Advanced Search tool.
If you have searched or viewed a student previously in your session, you will be taken to the previously viewed student's Language Comments page.
- To search for a new student select New Student Search (1)
- To view previous Student search results, select Back to Previous Search Results (2)
Select Add Language Comment (3) to begin and add a new language comment.
Add Language Comment
For each comment entered, select the following:
- Comment Category (1) is setup via Code Management
- Comment Type (2) also setup via Code Management, is the type of comment being recorded
- Enter the desired Comment (3)
Always Save (4) entries.
Language Comment Overview
Once a Language Comment has been saved, you will be taken to the Language Comment Overview page. A list of all Language Comments will be provided. For each comment, available Actions (1) include:
- View the comment by selecting the paper icon
- Edit or revise the comment by selecting the pencil icon
- To delete or remove the comment, select the trash can icon
Because many comments can be stored here for a single student, there are two search options to quickly and easily search for specific comments when necessary:
- Search (2) by Comment, Category, Type, or Author specific to the field you are searching in
- Search (3) for overall keywords, phrases, or information found anywhere in the list of language comments
Additional Print Options (4) to Microsoft Excel, Adobe PDF, and Other Formats are available including the More ... icon for additional formatting options when printing
Select Add Language Comment (5) to add a new comment within their language documentation.
Where Do Language Comments Display?
Once Language Comments are recorded, there are a variety of areas the data can be seen and displayed throughout the system.
All comments including Language will appear in the Student Comments widget on a Student's Profile. If the widget is not visible, visit the Add Widgets menu to add the Student Comments widget to the student profile page.
Language Comments is available data for custom reporting. In order to Comments to be available, the District Illuminate System Administrator may have to enable and share the data category Student: Comments as described in the Share Meta Data with Users lesson.
If and when enabled and shared, to find and add Comments including Language to a Custom Report, Add Columns with the following:
- Select the Type (1) Core Data
- Within the Categories (2) column, select Students: Comments
- All available data not currently in the custom report will appear in the Matching Columns (3) column; Click to select the data you wish to add to your report
- The Selected Columns (4) will appear to confirm they will be added to your report
Always Save changes and entries being made in order for the selected columns to be added to your report.