This lesson will show you how to enter formative scores in either a Points-Based or Standards-Based Gradebook.
Formative Scores are used to gauge students' learning, but not count towards the overall or by standard performance. The scores are also visible on the Illuminate Home Connection Student and Parent Portal, as well as easily seen in a Teacher's gradebook view.
Where to Start
- Click the Gradebook tab.
- Select My Gradebooks.
- Click on the title of your Gradebook.
- To go Setup.
- Select Custom Marks.
Be sure to have note of how the Grading Scale is setup in the Gradebook to create the Custom Marks accordingly.
- Create a Mark for each Grading Scale Value, followed by marked an asterisk (*). For example, 1* is the formative score representing Level 1: Not Yet.
- Leave the Value as blank, or no value.
- Select the Type as Points.
- Enter a Description such as "Level 1 (Formative)" which will help to communicate on the portal the purpose for this score.
- Select Missing as No and
- Select Excused as Yes.
By default, Gradebook preferences for Calculations should be set as "Not Zero and Not Missing". To review how to manage and setup your Gradebook preferences, please visit Setup Gradebook Preferences.
Enter Formative Assignment Scores
To enter formative scores within an assignment, make sure to have at least one assignment created. Be sure to visit our lesson on how to Create, Modify, and Delete an Assignment. .
To enter formative scores, remember to do the following:
- Enter enter the score the student receives and add an asterisk after the score
- Notice a grading scale color will not apply, but stay gray
- The score will be collected but not count towards the final overall or by standard grade
Please note that all scores will show in the Illuminate Home Connection Student and Parent Portal, as well as all Gradebook Reports.