This lesson will guide you on adding data to the custom report. Please be advised, data available in Illuminate may vary in your site.
Where to Start
Once you have created and opened the custom report, select Add Columns, to add data.
Filter Data (Optional): View 1
You will see a list of data categories from which to choose data sets. You may opt to use no, one, or multiple filters to more easily find the data you are looking for (particularly if you have a long list of assessments, demographics, etc.).
If you want to filter your list to more easily find what you need:
- Simply click any desired descriptors of your data. For example, you could select "Assessment," Grade "3," and "English Language Arts" if you wanted to find data on a 3rd grade English Language Arts assessments. To deselect any criterion, simply click it again so that it is no longer highlighted in blue.
- After all your desired criteria is selected (and thus highlighted in blue), click Update.
1. Click on any data category to expand it. If you are unsure what category to look in, start with the document 'Finding the data you need for a Custom Report.'
2. Once clicked, the category will open to display all of its data in the 'Matching Columns' section. Note that in both the 'Categories' section and 'Matching Columns' section, you can actually search within those categories/columns for the information you are looking for. Simply start typing the info you are looking for (ex. Contact), and only contact data will show up. Data is listed in alphabetical order from top to bottom.
3. Click on the title of the data in the 'Matching Columns' section to add it to your report, as shown above. Any selection you make will automatically become a column of data in your report and will be added into the 'Selected Columns' section at right.
Note: Student ID is at minimum required to be on any report in order to pull student information correctly. If using the Student Search 2.0, Student ID and other basic information is already included on the report.
Here are other additional tips and tricks using this view:
- Make as many selections as you like and expand as many data categories as you need to make additional selections.
- As you make selections, note that a running list appears on the right side of your screen. To delete a data category, click the red minus (-) next to it (on the left side of the title) to remove it.
- When you are finished making your selections, click Save. This takes you to the Manage Data Columns tab.
Filter Data (Optional): View 2
1. Data Types: Click the Data Types box, you will see a list of data categories populate from which to choose data sets. You can select multiple types, if you select one you don't actually want, simply click the 'X' next to the data type name. You can also start typing the name of the data you're looking for rather than click and search through the entire list.
2. Categories: Once you have chosen your Data Type(s), select what categories the data you want falls into. You can select multiple categories, if you select one you don't actually want, simply click the 'X' next to the data type name. You can also start typing the name of the data you're looking for rather than click and search through the entire list.
3. Columns: Pick the specific data columns you would like on your report. You can select multiple columns, if you select one you don't actually want, simply click the 'X' next to the data type name. You can also start typing the name of the data you're looking for rather than click and search through the entire list.
4. Click Add Columns.
Tips and Tricks to Adding Data: The Sacred Six
Certain data when added to a report can cause multiple records or rows and provide unexpected results.The Sacred Six are data categories that must have their partner also added to the report to use as a filter and help you achieve the best, most accurate results. Please note, depending on the nature of the report, you may not need to add these columns of data.
- When you need to add Enrollment<Grade Level, also add Enrollment<Academic Year
- When you need to add Teacher<Teacher Name, also add Roster<Roster is Current
- When you need to add Enrollment<Site Name, also add Enrollment<Site Current
Once data columns have been added, filters will need to be applied.
Once data has been added, the system will take you to Manage Columns to manage how the report will look with the new data added.
If you are ready to use Filters to narrow down who this report is about, check out Use Filters on Custom Reports!