Your District's Illuminate administrator can manage permissions (e.g., what users can access and do in the Illuminate system). This lesson will show how to manage permissions by Site, Role, Site and Role, or User.
Where to Start
- Click on the Administration Gear.
- Under Users, click Permissions.
- Select a Module (i.e., menu of options) to use when defining permissions.
- The All Modules option, however, provides access to all available permissions, regardless of the module in which they are officially contained.
- Selecting Assessments display only permissions pertaining to the Assessment module.
- Select a Permission Scope using the drop-down menu. This tells the system if you want to manage permissions (e.g., control what users can access and do in the Illuminate system) by:
- Everyone (meaning everyone in the district),
- Site (meaning everyone at a particular site can access and do certain things in the system), by
- Role (meaning everyone with a particular role - e.g., teacher - can access and do certain things in the system), by
- Site and Role (meaning only people with a particular role and at a particular site can access and do certain things in the system), or by
- User (meaning only a specific user can access and do certain things in the system).
If sharing by user, note that the drop-down list of options will only feature users from the site for which you are logged on. To access users from a different site, simply click Change Site / Term and log onto the site that features the users whose permissions you would like to alter.
- Click Load to the right of any of the scopes to populate the current permissions below, and make any changes.
There are many things you can do at this stage. Here are some options and guidelines:
- Scroll through the many Permissions that you you can alter for the users whom fit the scope you defined in previous steps. These are all listed down the left side of your screen.
- Reference the Default Value column to see how the defined users' permissions will be treated for this given category if you do not specify any changes to the permission.
- For any case in which you do not want the defined users' permissions set to the default value for a particular category, merely click "Yes" or "No" (based on your preference).
- Click the "i" to see a list of current roles that have this permission.
- After all the information in a module is edited and correct, click Save.
- If at any point you wish to exit without making any changes, merely click on a different scope and click Load.
- If you want to use this set of permission settings with another scope (e.g., role, site, site and role, or user), click Copy.
Additional Permission Guidelines
Keep the following permission guidelines in mind the following:
- "View students that are not rostered to the user" (this is necessary to prevent administrators' student access from being not limited)
District DnA Administrator
- Everything in the "Gradebook" module (only the District DnA admin might have this until teachers are expected or permitted to use the Illuminate gradebook)
- "Import assessments from the Amplify/QTI import queue" (if the District is using assessments from a company source like Amplify)
To learn more about the copy function, visit Copy Permissions.