When your District's Illuminate administrator manages permissions (e.g., what users can access and do in the Illuminate system), he or she might opt to use one set of permission settings with another scope (e.g., role, site, site and role, or user) to save time. This lesson will show how that can be done.
Where to Start
1. Click on the Admin Gear on your toolbar.
2. Under Users, select Permissions.
First, follow all the steps in the "Add of Edit Permissions" lesson so that your first set of permissions is saved.
1. Select the Module (Admin, Assessments, Behavior, etc.).
2. Scope (Site/Role/Site & Role/User) you would like to copy permissions for.
3. Click Copy.
4. Select a new Permission Scope using the drop-down menu based on "whom" or "what" will now receive the same permission settings you recently saved. This tells the system if you want to apply the permissions (e.g., control what users can access and do in the Illuminate system) by site (meaning everyone at a particular site can access and do certain things in the system), by role (meaning everyone with a particular role - e.g., teacher - can access and do certain things in the system), by site and role (meaning only people with a particular role and at a particular site can access and do certain things in the system), or by user (meaning only a specific user can access and do certain things in the system), by site (meaning everyone at a particular site can access and do certain things in the system).
Note: If sharing by user, note that the drop-down list of options will only feature users from the site for which you are logged on. To access users from a different site, simply click Change Site / Term and log onto the site that features the users whose permissions you would like to alter.
5. Select a Module (i.e., menu of options) that you would like to use when applying the saved permissions. For example, if you select Data and Assessment you will be applying the previously-saved permissions from that particular module.
6. Click Load.
Based on what you selected on the prior step, you will be given at least one additional scope option (e.g., Role, Site, both of these, etc.), as well as an Action option.
1. Use the new drop-down menus to populate any new scope fields that appeared, based on which entity you would now like to receive the previously-saved permissions.
2. Use the drop-down Copy Action menu to indicate if you would like to Update (Combine) (meaning that any changes you just made to the saved permissions will now be applied to the new scope) or Replace (Overwrite) (meaning that the saved permissions will now completely replace/become the permissions of the new scope).
3. Click Load.
You should then see a green bar noting that the change to the permissions successfully took place. You'll note that you can repeat the previous step multiple times if desired.
After permissions for specific roles or sites are set up, users affiliated with those roles or sites will have the given permissions. If you want to alter the roles and sites of any users via the User Management tabs (as shown above) and require assistance at any point, you might wish to visit the other User Management lessons related to your chosen topics.