This lesson will guide you through installing the Lockdown Browser for Chromebook for district Chromebooks managed with Chrome Device Management.
At this time, the Illuminate Lockdown Browser for Chromebook works with Quick Codes only.
Note: This how-to assumes you are an administrator of your Google Apps for Education domain, and you have the ability to add apps via the Chrome device policy settings in the Google Apps admin panel.
The Illuminate LockDown Browser for Chromebook is a custom browser that locks down the testing environment. When students use the locked browser to access an assessment, they are unable to print, copy, go to another URL, or access other applications. Students are locked into an assessment until it is submitted for grading.
Illuminate LockDown Browser for Chromebooks is a Chrome Extension that can only be run in kiosk mode when the Chromebooks are centrally managed with Chrome Device Management.
You can also visit Chromebook Help on specific steps in support of this feature.
Required: Google no longer allows Kiosk Apps to be installed into individual devices, they can only be installed with Google Management interface (and thus require a management license).
How do I check if my Chromebooks are enrolled in Chromebook Enterprise (centrally managed by the district)?
- Click the toolbar in the bottom-righthand corner of the Chromebook.
- In the popup, check for the Managed tag.
Installing the Illuminate App for Chromebook for District-Managed Devices
The following instructions describe how to install the Illuminate App using Chrome Device Management.
- Log in to the Google Suite admin console at https://admin.google.com
- Click Devices.
- Click Chrome management.
- Click Apps & extensions.
- Click the (+) sign.
- Click the Add Chrome app or extension by ID icon.
- Enter the Illuminate App ID: ajjjjehgfligedeopgidejclgeibahpn in the Extension ID field.
- Click Save.
- The Illuminate Lockdown Browser App will now appear in the Kiosks tab of the Apps & extensions page.
- You or your IT team then decide how to push the app out to linked Chromebooks using the Chrome Management options.
The Illuminate Lockdown Browser for Chromebook is setup to work only with Quick Rosters. Students will be automatically directed to illuminate.online where they will enter their student ID, username, state student ID, or email address and the access code provided by the teacher.
Proxy Server Troubleshooting
If you receive an error from the Illuminate App about not being able to connect to the Internet, there may be a problem with a proxy server. Kiosk mode does not work with proxy servers unless a network configuration is defined and applied “by device” instead of “by user." The following steps can be followed to set up the network configuration “by device."
1. Login to the Google Suite admin console at https://admin.google.com
2. Select “Device Management” and then “Network” under the Device Settings.
3. Select WiFi or Ethernet. If no networks are defined, then select “Create."
4. Enter the setting for your network. On the proxy settings, configure the proxy as required and be sure to select “by device” in the “Apply network” section.
5. The final step is to validate that everything is set up correctly. To do this, we recommend testing the network settings with the generic "Kiosk" App with App ID: afhcomalholahplbjhnmahkoekoijban
This App allows you to configure an arbitrary URL (such as https://www.illuminateed.com/) which is displayed when the App enters Kiosk mode. Once networking has been validated with the Kiosk App, you can be confident that Illuminate LockDown Browser for Chromebook will be able to connect to the Internet via the proxy server.