This lesson will guide you through installing the Lockdown Browser for Chromebook for district Chromebooks managed with Chrome Device Management.
NOTE: This how-to assumes you are an administrator of your Google Apps for Education domain, and you have the ability to add apps via the Chrome device policy settings in the Google Apps admin panel.
The Illuminate LockDown Browser for Chromebook is a custom browser that locks down the testing environment. When students use the locked browser to access an assessment, they are unable to print, copy, go to another URL, or access other applications. Students are locked into an assessment until it is submitted for grading.
Illuminate LockDown Browser for Chromebooks is a Chrome Extension that can only be run in kiosk mode when the Chromebooks are centrally managed with Chrome Device Management.
You can also visit Chromebook Help on specific steps in support of this feature.
Google no longer allows Kiosk Apps to be installed into individual devices, they can only be installed with Google Management interface (and thus require a management license).
Installing the Illuminate App for Chromebook for District-Managed Devices
The following instructions describe how to install the Illuminate App using Chrome Device Management.
1. Log in to the Google Suite admin console at https://admin.google.com
2. Select “Device Management” and then “Chrome Management” under Device Settings.
3. On the next screen select “Device Settings” and then scroll down to the “Kiosk Settings” section.
4. Select the “Manage Kiosk Applications” link.
5. Select “Chrome Web Store” and enter the Illuminate App ID: ajjjjehgfligedeopgidejclgeibahpn and press enter. When the Illuminate App appears, select “Add” and then “Save”. The Illuminate App will now appear on the login page of the managed Chromebooks.
The Illuminate Lockdown Browser for Chromebook is setup to work only with Quick Rosters. Students will be automatically directed to illuminate.online where they will enter their student ID, username, state student ID, or email address and the access code provided by the teacher.
Proxy Server Troubleshooting
If you receive an error from the Illuminate App about not being able to connect to the Internet, there may be a problem with a proxy server. Kiosk mode does not work with proxy servers unless a network configuration is defined and applied “by device” instead of “by user." The following steps can be followed to set up the network configuration “by device."
1. Login to the Google Suite admin console at https://admin.google.com
2. Select “Device Management” and then “Network” under the Device Settings.
3. Select WiFi or Ethernet. If no networks are defined, then select “Create."
4. Enter the setting for your network. On the proxy settings, configure the proxy as required and be sure to select “by device” in the “Apply network” section.
5. The final step is to validate that everything is set up correctly. To do this, we recommend testing the network settings with the generic "Kiosk" App with App ID: afhcomalholahplbjhnmahkoekoijban
This App allows you to configure an arbitrary URL (such as https://www.illuminateed.com/) which is displayed when the App enters Kiosk mode. Once networking has been validated with the Kiosk App, you can be confident that Illuminate LockDown Browser for Chromebook will be able to connect to the Internet via the proxy server.