This lesson is designed as a series of questions to ensure that the district has thought of everything surrounding attendance set-up.
1. Are the attendance flags set appropriately in categories such as Excused vs. Unexcused Absences and Tardies?
2. Are flags set appropriately to deal with Short Term Independent Study? Home Hospital?
3. Are there any attendance marks that are unique to your district that you need to set and track?
4. Have attendance Truancy and Tardy letters been created and tied to the appropriate flags for tracking? Is there a process in place for site secretaries on generating and tracking these letters?
Average Daily Attendance (ADA)
1. What type of funding categories are needed in the ADA report? Illuminate defaults all courses/sections to regular education and all other necessary categories need to be managed at the course or section level.
2. Does the District of Residence (DOR) need to be tracked for any students that live outside of the district boundaries? DOR is tracked in Illuminate through the District of Residence tied to a students' transfer record. Have these been setup?
3. Have you reviewed the Help documentation on basic Attendance Balancing in Illuminate and verified if any additional procedures/documentation will be needed by district auditors?
4. ADA is based off of scheduling information however enrollment reports are often used to verify student numbers are accurate. If a student is placed in an enrollment funding category are they also placed in courses/sections with the same funding category? View the information found in the Gains and Losses report as well as Enrollment by teacher to see if these meet your needs.
Class Size Reduction (CSR)
1. Does your district collect CSR funds? If so verify the report options in advance for the following reports; CSR Summary, Class Size Compliance, and Class Summary to ensure that the setup allows for the reports to be run based on the needs of the district.
2. Independent Study often requires special handling for CSR. Have procedures been set-up for this?
1. Is attendance being taken daily by all teachers?
2. Is there a process in place for secretaries?
3. Are all absences being reconciled? Meaning that all absences are changed from an unverified absence to some type of excused or unexcused status.
4. Are absences being reconciled by the front office through the Absence Reconciliation Report? Reconciling absences in this report will keep a "paper trail" of changes that can be exported in an Excel format and will track all notes in the students' Attendance Summary Report.
Independent Charter Schools
1. Does your district manage any charter schools? If so how do you need to report on these schools? Are combined totals needed?
2. The district that oversees the charter school often wants to track information such as in district vs. out of district students. Has this been set up as a special transfer situation in Illuminate?
1. Are any of your schools are programs set up on a minute or hourly attendance program? This is often the case for long term independent study or continuation school. If so special handling will be required to change the illuminate default attendance type from negative to positive attendance.