Prior to using the Behavior Module it will need to be configured for district use. Also visit the complete Help Manual on Behavior.
Q. Why do I need to fill out both an Assigned Duration and a Served Duration for each consequence?
A. If Served Duration is left blank it will be assumed to be the same as Assigned Duration. You only need to fill out Served Duration if it is something different than was assigned.
Q. How did Illuminate determine the default "Typical School Day Duration" ?
A. We used the average number of hours in a school day as determined by the National Center for for Education Statistics.
Q. What if our district would like to use a different Typical School Day Duration than the one that is set?
A. The district Illuminate system administrator can update the default value in code management.
Q. What if each site has a different Typical School Day Duration?
A. If this is the case then the code table will need to be managed at the site level for EACH site.
Where to Start
1. Click the Administration Gear.
2. Next, click Code Management.
There are a variety of Behavior areas that will need to be set up to meet the needs of the district. Click on the one that you will work with and click Load.
During the initial setup many of the Behavior Codes are empty and will produce a blank list.
Click on Add Code and fill in:
- Code Key - This is a unique alphanumeric identifier created by the district.
- Code Translation - This is the Name of the code.
- Select the site that this code will be used by. In most cases it will be used by all of the schools in the district and the district name should be selected.
- If this is an active incident code, keep this at the default Yes/True setting.
- Select the incident type.
All other fields can be left blank and are for internal use. Click Save when finished (6).
When working with blank code tables it is sometimes helpful to see samples. The following are samples for Behavior codes that are not populated by Illuminate. These samples are intended to help you decide what you should fill in for each category to best meet the needs of your district.
Behavior Violation Codes are populated by Illuminate as they contain the universal Ed. Codes. You will need to verify that several of the fields are set appropriately to meet the needs of the district.
- Suspend - This field determines if the violation is a suspend-able offense. All violations set to true will display in the Suspension Report found in the Behavior module.
- Expel - This field determines if the violation is grounds for expulsion. All violations set to true will display in the Expulsion Report found in the Behavior module.
- Is Active - If this field is set to true then it will be available for use by anybody entering behavior incidents.
Behavior Typical School Day Duration
Example of a School Day Typical Duration of 6.3 hours changed to 6.1 hours using State mappings. Also note that currently 6.3 is set as the default based on CA averages.
Behavior Form Letters
Now that the Behavior module is setup, form letters should be created. Multiple behavior letters can be created such as Minor infractions, Suspensions, Detentions, etc. These can be set up per individual school or per district. For complete instructions on behavior form letters visit the Behavior Help manual or see the help document - Add a Behavior Form Letter.