This lesson will guide you through creating Student Groups: Creating and Managing a Student Group and What Can I Do with a Student Group?
Use this as a guide to facilitate the training in a computer lab. Show the videos before users log in or view one video at time so users can follow along.
Before You Get Started
- Confirm with your IT/Technology Team your ability to access VIMEO on site/district computers.
- Visibility determines which students can be selected and created into a Student Group.
Creating and Managing a Student Group
Navigation: Students > Student Groups > Create Group
- Best to use when creating a group of students with a single data source
- Student Groups are created based on current visibility
- After students have been added, View Student List will show a list of students within the group based on current enrollment
- Students provides the ability to record enter and exit dates for each student within the group
Use one of the following data sources to create your Student Group:
- Grade Levels
- Programs, such as GATE, EL.
- Link to one or more Custom Reports will build the group off of which the report(s) are displaying.
- Sections will create a link and pull students from the Master Schedule.
- Add Students is the most popular, adding students based on visibility using Student Select filters.
*Using one or more of the above data sources does not filter the students to create the group, but combines them. For example, if Grade Level 5 and Program English Learners was selected, all students in grade 5 and all students labeled as English Learners (regardless of grade level) would be in the student group.
Note on Visibility: The Visibility Group option enables the user to have the option in the Control Panel to narrow the display to those students in the selected group in the following areas: Dashboard, Search 2.0, and the view of students when in a Custom Report. This option is permission-based.
What Can I Do with a Student Group?
Change Your Visibility in the Control Panel
Navigation: Control Panel > Students > Select a Student Group > Select Save Changes
- Visibility is based on rostering for teacher users and by permission for non-teacher users
- Selecting a student group in the Control Panel changes the visibility on the Dashboard, Student Search tools, and the list of students to view within a Custom Report.
- Access and visibility to all students is still available in all other areas such as assessments and prebuilt reports.
Using Student Select Filters
Navigation: Wherever Student Select Filters are available, select Student Group > Complete any or all additional criteria > View in Browser or Download
- Generates report or document for specific students within the student group selected
- Additional filters, if selected, will continue to filter by students in the student group
Want to how to create Student Groups with multiple data sources? Visit Illuminate U! U060 Use Custom Reports to Create Student Groups.