This lesson will guide you through customizing your Gradebook: Preferences, Categories/Tags, a Custom Marks. To review how to use Gradebooks, refer our help manual Gradebooks.
Use this as a guide to facilitate the training in a computer lab. Show the videos before users log in or view one video at a time so users can follow along.
Before You Get Started
- Sites/District may have particular Gradebook Preferences, Custom Marks, Categories, Tags or Grading Scales, to setup Gradebooks properly. Please check with your Illuminate Admin Team or Administrator for details.
- Your district could have set a school-wide grading scale which cannot be modified. Grading Scales may not be an option for your gradebook.
- Completion of training or course U200 Getting Started with Gradebook.
Navigation: Grades > My Gradebooks > Select a Gradebook > Setup > Preferences
Discuss with users that preferences by default are setup for success. This is where you can setup your own custom options to meet your needs. All preferences are optional to the viewer, unless requested by your Illuminate Admin Team, Site, or Administrator.
Gradebook Prefences can be applied to areas such as Calculations, Assignments, Students, and Other. All preferences are set up for success or are defaulted in support of the selected Gradebook:
Calculations: How Grades are Calculated
- For Points-Based calculations, options may include how to calculate blank scores, rounding with decimals, display of custom marks, and how to enter scores.
- For Standards-Based calculations, options only include how to calculate blank scores and display custom marks.
Assignments: How Assignment Information is Displayed
- Options may include whether or not to display categories, assignment due date, creation date, shown in portal, max score, and assignment mark or grade.
- Flexibility on assignment sorting viewed in the gradebook is located here.
- By default, assignments are sorted by Due Date
Students: How Student Information is Displayed
- Options may include whether or not to display components of a students name, birthday, attendance, demographics, birthdate, gender, etc.
- By default, basic student demographic information is shown such as First/Last Name, abilty to quickly change or alter student filters, and alphabetical order is provided
Other: How Other Components Can Be Displayed
- Options may include setting the default entry view, adding custom fields, attendance, and other information to the view, and the ability to save and apply preferences changed to other Gradebooks by choosing any or all appropriate Gradebooks
- By default, the default entry view is set to spreadsheet view, autosave, and showing student name in an Excel or PDF view when downloaded.
Preferences applied are only changing the teacher's view of information. If using Illuminate Report Cards, calculations and information may change based on how the Report Card is setup.
Don't forget to select Save Preferences when any changes have been made.
Navigation: Grades > My Gradebooks > Select Gradebook > Setup > Grading Scales
Grading Scales allow users to change percentages, assign specific values to marks, and modify color schemes to fit the percentages in your Gradebooks.
Review what a Grading Scales is in a Gradebook and if applicable, use examples from previous Grading Scales used. Have users create a Grading Scales (if able) for their Gradebooks and apply to additional Gradebooks.
- Add marks such as A,B,C,D,E,F, or 1,2,3,4,5. If you assign + and - to grades, you will want to add those in at the blank field. You can add in A+ and A-, etc. and assign it a minimum or lowest percentage as well.
- Each value can have colors if desired.
- After you create a Mark click Save and apply to other Gradebooks, if desired.
Want to expand on Customizing Your Gradebook? Check out our Gradebook Manual for more details!