This lesson will show you how to create a Student Group. Student Groups allow you to categorize and group students based on your criteria. You can then share that Student Group with other users and give them "visibility" permissions so they can access the students within Illuminate tools and reports.
Example Student Groups:
- After School Tutoring based on program participation
- Caseload for Special Ed students based on SPED classification
- Struggling students based on test scores
- List of students for a teacher doing a job share with another teacher
Users utilizing Student Groups will need the following permission based on role level:
Roles with District / Site Access
|Roles with Limited Student Access (Teachers)
Where to Start
- Click Students.
- Under the General section, select Student Groups. This will show you your list of Student Groups.
- Click Create Group.
- Enter a name for your Student Group.
- Click Create.
A visibility group allows you to adjust your entire view of Illuminate tools and reports to only look at the students in this group. This makes the Student Group available in the Control Panel, in your student scope selector on assessments and reports, or in a custom report.
To enable the group as a visibility group:
- Select Yes for Visibility Group?.
- Organizations using eduCLIMBER will also have the option to set the group as a Student Tag and making that tag Public. For more information, visit Link Student Group to eduCLIMBER Student Tag.
- Click Save Changes.
You can add students using the following options:
- Grade Levels: Add an entire grade level. e.g. Add all 7th graders to the Student Group.
- Programs: Add all students from a Student Program. e.g. Students with 504 plans, GATE, McKinney Vento, etc.
- Reports: Add students from a custom report. e.g. Create a custom report ahead of time which you've filtered to only include students with particular test scores, demographics, etc., and then use that report to populate your Student Group.
- Sections: Add students by class section. e.g. By enrollment/period.
- Add Students: Add individual students by name.
Note: Adding students does not work like filters, which limit your selection. All students that meet each of those individual criteria will be added regardless of whether or not they fit the other criteria. For example, if you add Grade 1 and EL Students, the Student Group will include all Grade 1 students AND all EL students.
Tip: Adding students by Grade Level, Program, Custom Report or Section will make your group dynamic. That means when new students fit the selection criteria, they will automatically be added to the group. When you add students manually (Add Students), the group will only reflect the students you manually selected.
The View Student List page displays the total number of students added from all the different tabs.
- Click View Student List.
- Check that the number of students in the list matches the number you are expecting.