This lesson walks through the process of editing or adding contact, household, and dwelling information to a student in Illuminate.
Where to Start
1. Click Students.
2. Under Contact Information, click Contacts.
Single Student Entry
1. Enter search criteria for the student whose contact(s) you wish to access. You may get as specific or general as you like.
2. Click Search.
3. If your search renders more than 1 student, find the student you want and click his or her name.
Mass Student Entry
Follow the same steps outlined for a single student entry. However, say you are entering contacts for all of Grade 10 at Obama High School. Instead search by Grade Level and Site to populate a list of just that grade level/site's students.
If you click on the first name in the list, it will take you to the Student Contact Management page. From here, make the necessary additions, edits or removals of contacts (see explanation of this page below). To navigate to the next student in your list, simply click Next Student or select a student from the dropdown menu at the top of the page.
1. Click Add a Contact to add a new student contact. Enter contact information and click Save.
2. To make specific changes to a contact, use the Actions drop down menu and make a selection.
3. To delete a contact, click Remove and confirm your selection.
4. To make several changes to a contact, click Edit, make changes, and click Save.
Adding a contact
1. When typing in the contact's address, Illuminate will start to populate a dropdown menu of similar addresses in the system. If a student's address is already in the system, say their sibling has already been added, select the correct address.
Once selected, you you will see a box populate at the bottom that will allow you to link the Family/Household to the student. Note: This is how siblings are created in the system, by being linked to the SAME household when selected from this data entry pop-up.
2. To add this family/household, click Add family/household.
3. If this is NOT the family/household you would like associated with the student, select None of these and proceed to enter all applicable contact information.
Phone(s) - Primary:Is this the Primary phone number for the Contact?
Phone Type:Home, Work, Cell, etc. The options in this drop down menu are controlled by Code Management (Phone Type code table).
Relationship:Mother, Father, Aunt, Uncle, etc. The options in this drop down menu are controlled by Code Management (Student Contact Type code table).
Correspondence Language:Notes the language for communicating with the parent. Report Cards and Mass Messaging tend to rely on the Student's Correspondence Language rather than the Contact correspondence language.
Email:Email address for the parent. Note: This may be different than the email address a parent is using for portal.
Legal Guardian: Users would determine whether a contact "should" or "should not" be marked as Legal for the student. Note: "Legal Guardian" is required for sending Secondary Report Cards and for a Contact to have visibility for a student in Parent Portal in ISI.
Restraining Order vs Restraining Order (Portal Access):Restraining Order blocks a Contact from all communication linked to a student, including Parent Portal. Restraining Order (Portal Access) allows a Contact with a RO to still have visibility of a student in Parent Portal.
Student-Contact Comments: Users can add comments to detail additional information regarding the Contact and the student. When a comment is added here, there will be a comment bubble visible next to the Contact on the Student Contacts page.
Enable Portal Access: "Yes" will generate an Access Key for a Contact to use to register for Parent Portal when this is marked and change is saved. If an Access Key exists for a Contact and "No" is marked and then this change is saved, it will remove the Access Key and disable portal. Note: Toggling from Yes to No, then No to Yes will generate a new Access Key for the Contact.
Access Key: A unique key linked to this specific Contact ID
Is Registered?: If a Contact has registered for portal
Registered Email:This is the email address the Contact used to register for Parent Portal. Note: May be a different email address than the one in the Email field for the Contact. This is also known as Contact Portal Email in metadata.
Reset Registration:If a Contact is registered for Parent Portal, this will show as an option. Resetting registration will remove the Portal registration from the Contact, but keep the same Access Key, which would allow the Contact to re-register using the same Access Key.
Verifying An Address
Once on a Student's Contact page:
1. Click on the Actions menu.
2. Select Verify Address.
This will immediately run a verification. If an address cannot be verified, you will receive an error message indicating the issue, i.e. Unknown Street.
You might be interested in viewing other lessons within the "Contacts" Help manual.