This lesson comprises an optional part of student scheduling and covers the process of creating scheduling rules that prevent a student from being placed into sections with particular teachers or students for the upcoming school year. This is useful in cases where 2 students have a history of unresolved conflict (e.g., if Johnny Doe and Jimmy Smith have a history of fighting, you can create a restriction that includes both Jimmy and Johnny, and the scheduler will refuse to place the 2 students in the same section), and in cases where a particular student and teacher just don't seem to "mesh" well, and you suspect that both parties will have a more successful year if they are not scheduled together.
Note: These student restrictions are only available in draft mode and will not carry over to the live schedule i.e., once the draft is published and schedule changes are made in the live schedule you will not be alerted to any restrictions that were made in draft mode.
Where to Start
1. You must be logged in under the school year for which you are impacting scheduling, as well as a specific school site. Note (in the upper-right corner of your screen) that you are now logged in under the upcoming school year.
2. If you are not, use the Change Student Set / Site in the upper corner of your screen to log in under the upcoming school year.
1. Click Scheduling.
2. Under Schedule Constraints, click Student Restrictions.
Add Student Restriction (So Particular Students Aren't Scheduled Together)
Click Add Student Restriction.
1. Select a Grade Level to filter the list of students that appears below.
2. Select a Student Subject.
3. Next, use the Add Student drop-down menu to select the students who should not be scheduled together.
4. Click Save to create the restriction.
Add Student/Teacher Restriction (So Particular Student and Teacher Aren't Scheduled Together)
Click Add Teacher Restriction.
1-2. Select the Student Subject and Teacher from the drop-down menus.
3. Click Save to create the restriction.
Proceed to the next lesson in this manual for support with the next step.