Charts summarize data for us so that it is easy to view at a glance. Illuminate follows this same thinking and allows you to add charts to your custom reports; this lesson will show you how. When you choose to create a chart in Illuminate, you will most likely display summary data, not individual data that makes a chart too cluttered.
Where to Start
Create Groups in Your Report
Grouping is often needed to create a chart in Illuminate. Charts are displayed in a variety of choices (bar, column, pie, etc) so a count is needed to populate each piece of the chart. See the "Add or Edit a Custom Report Grouping" lesson for help.
Create a Chart
After grouping is completed, click Charts, then New Chart.
1. The chart title will default to the name of your report. You may edit it and/or enter an optional description.
2. Choose a chart type from the drop down menu.
Determine Chart Groups
1. Select the radio button depending on whether the data will display as a table beneath the chart.
2. From the drop down menu, select the column that will be summarized/counted. In this example, each performance level will show a count of students; therefore, 2011 CST ELA Performance Level is selected.
Note: Categories in this series will be horizontal/ x axis labels on a column chart, lines on a line chart, vertical/yaxis labels on a bar chart, wedges on a pie chart, or shapes on a motion chart.
1. Click Add Columns.
2. Select a column from the drop down menu. You can add several columns depending on the columns included in your report. Click Add Column and select your column repeatedly until all your selections have been added.
Note: These will appear in any data table you include but will only appear in your chart if they use the same scale as the series group you selected above.
3. Click Save.
In this example, Total Number of Students is added as a column because this contains the student count.
Both a column chart and data table displays.
The chart below is based on this grouping selection.
In this example, the performance level text will display columns of data that show both the total number of students and the average scale score.
If you choose not to include the data table, you can still hover over each bar to get information.