This lesson will walk you through the process of creating sessions and terms using Term Manager.
1. Click on the Admin gear.
2. Under Calendar, click Term Manager.
Note: Term Manager allows you to manage ALL District terms at once while Terms allows users to make more in depth changes to terms when needed (i.e. term number).
A list of your sites current terms will be displayed.
1. Select the Academic Year you are creating/editing/deleting terms for.
If this is the first time accessing this page for the new session you will see the above message.
You have three options:
1. Option 1- Allows for terms to be mass created based off of last year's term and allows for a quick adjustment of the calendar start and end dates.
Example: If in the 2012/13 school year the school calendar started on September 2 and you are now creating the 2013/14 calendar that starts on September 4 enter a 2 day adjustment, click GO and term dates will be created for all sites.
2. Option 2 - Allows terms to be created manually. If using this option click, GO.
3. Option 3- Build terms entirely from scratch.
If you selected option 2:
1. Using the checkbox on the left select the sites you need to create terms for.
2. Scroll to the bottom of the page and click, Create Terms.
The term creation window will appear. See examples below for options that may be used.
The red asterisks (*) next to fields indicate that those fields must all be populated in order to proceed.
1. Enter a Term Name applicable to the site you selected in the previous step (e.g., Full Year, Fall Quarter, Winter Trimester, Spring Semester) from the drop-down menu, noting that you will need to complete these steps for every term (e.g., 1st quarter, 2nd trimester, 3rd semester, etc.) that will be used at the previously-selected site. Note that you will likely want to create a Full Year session (as illustrated above) for the district as a whole.
2. Enter a Term Number that indicates the order in which this term falls in comparison to the other terms at the site. For example, you would enter 1 for Full Year or 1st quarter, 2 for 2nd trimester, 3 for 3rd semester, etc.
3. Select the Session you just created in the previous steps (for example, is this for a normal 2011-2012 school year - as opposed to summer school - you would select 2012 Normal).
4. Select a Start Date for the term.
5. Select an End Date for the term. Note: If there are gaps between terms there will be no rosters available on the dates that fall in between terms.
6. Select a Term Type that describes the session you are creating. Look at the image above for an indication of how all the selections work together.
7. Click Save and Add More and repeat the above steps for every term (e.g., 1st quarter, 2nd trimester, 3rd semester, etc.) that will be used at the previously-selected site.
8. When you are finished making selections for the last session you need to create for the previously-selected site, click Save.
Some more examples are provided below.
Note: Grading Periods cannot be created across terms. i.e. If you need a cumulative grading period that spans Q1 and Q2, do not create quarter terms instead create semester terms.
Example of a 1st/Fall Semester
Example of a 2nd/Spring Semester
Example of a 1st/Fall Trimester
Example of a 2nd/Winter Trimester
Example of a 3rd/Spring Trimester