This lesson will show you how to set up and edit terms for your school site(s).
Where to Start
1. Click the Administration Gear near the top of your screen.
2. Under Calendar, click Terms.
1. Select a Site from the drop-down menu.
2. Click Search.
3. Click Add Term.
NOTE: When setting up a new school year, you will need to Add Terms for ALL sites.
The red asterisks (*) next to fields indicate that those fields must all be populated in order to proceed.
1. Enter a Term Name applicable to the site you selected in the previous step (e.g., Full Year, Fall Quarter, Winter Trimester, Spring Semester) from the drop-down menu, noting that you will need to complete these steps for every term (e.g., 1st quarter, 2nd trimester, 3rd semester, etc.) that will be used at the previously-selected site.
NOTE: You will need to create a Year long term for the district as a whole.
2. Enter a Term Number that indicates the order in which this term falls in comparison to the other terms at the site. For example, you would enter 1 for Full Year or 1st quarter, 2 for 2nd trimester, 3 for 3rd semester, etc.
3. Select the Session you just created in the previous steps (for example, is this for a normal 2011-2012 school year - as opposed to summer school - you would select 2012 Normal).
4. Select a Start Date for the term.
5. Select an End Date for the term.
NOTE: You will want to input accurate dates and term info from the very beginning of the school year. Changing dates after school has started, attendance been taken, etc can cause harm to your student information.
6. Select a Term Type that describes the session you are creating. Look at the image above for an indication of how all the selections work together.
7. Click Save and Add More and repeat the above steps for every term (e.g., 1st quarter, 2nd trimester, 3rd semester, etc.) that will be used at the previously-selected site.
8. When you are finished making selections for the last session you need to create for the previously-selected site, click Save.
CALPADS CAUTION: Do your terms match with student Enrollment and Schedules? For example, if you are creating or modifying terms in Illuminate, but student enrollment or rosters have been imported from another source, do your terms match with the imported enrollment and roster data? If not, this could cause potential issues and errors with CALPADS. Terms, enrollment, and schedule data must align.
Grading Periods cannot be created across terms. I.E., If you need a cumulative grading period that spans Q1 and Q2, do not create quarter terms instead create semester terms.
Elementary school terms are almost always 'Yearlong' or 'Y'. The term dates span the entire school year. One yearlong term per session/year is sufficient for most elementary schools.Even if Trimesters are used for report card purposes, the term is still yearlong.
The only time yearlong terms are not used at elementary sites is if students change classes at the end of the term (Trimester 1) like is found at most secondary schools. If student switch classes, then you will need to create appropriate terms.
If the students remain in the same class all year, then you will create a yearlong term for each school.
Secondary Term Examples
Example of a 1st/Fall Semester
Example of a 2nd/Spring Semester
Example of a 1st/Fall Trimester
Example of a 2nd/Winter Trimester
Example of a 3rd/Spring Trimester
1. To edit term information, select the appropriate school > click Search > find the appropriate Term/Year > click the Edit icon.
WARNING: Basic edits can be made such as changing the dates to include an additional week however major edits to terms can have an adverse affect on your data (Enrollment, Schedules, Etc.) The following rules are in place:
- Terms may not be added to a sessions that already have enrollment.
- Terms may not be edited if the session they belong to already has enrollment.
- Overlapping terms may not be created within the same session.
To prevent harm to your student information, please contact and consult with Illuminat before any major term changes are made.
2. Edit the term information.
3. Click Save or Save and Add more.
Delete a term
1. Click the red X to delete a term.
WARNING: Once data (Enrollment, Schedules, Attendance, etc.) are associated to a term the term should no longer be deleted under any circumstances. Please consult with and contact Illuminate first. Deleting a Term with data may cause significant harm to your student information.
2. Press Okay to delete the term permanently.