This lesson will guide you through the process of setting up grading period weights. These allow a teacher to set grade weighting preference for individual GradeBooks. This available for points-based gradebooks only.
Grading Period Weights are available for Points Based Gradebooks only.
Why Use Grading Period Weights?
This is typically used in scenarios where the final exam is weighted against the Q1 and Q2 grades to produce a final semester grade (e.g., Q1=40%, Q2=40%, Exam=20%).
Some teachers use this type of functionality to approximate something like a decaying average, with the idea that more recent assessments should weigh more than earlier assessments.For example, a teacher may weigh Q2 60% and Q1 40%.
Where to Start
- Select Gradebook tab.
- Select My Gradebook.
- Select on the title of the Gradebook.
- Select on the Setup tab.
- Select Grading Period Weights.
Add Grading Period Weights
- Enter the percentage you would like each grading period to hold. (i.e. S1 50, S2 50).
- Use the Also Save This to dropdown menu to save this to one or more gradebooks.
- Select Save.
- A message appears confirming the Grading Period weights have been updated.
To learn more about Gradebook preferences, visit Setup and Preferences for All Gradebooks.