This lesson will guide you through the process of setting up grading period weights. These allow a teacher to set grade weighting preference for individual GradeBooks. This available for points-based gradebooks only.
Grading Period Weights are available for Points Based Gradebooks only.
Why Use Grading Period Wrights?
This is typically used in scenarios where the final exam is weighted against the Q1 and Q2 grades to produce a final semester grade (e.g., Q1=40%, Q2=40%, Exam=20%).
Some teachers use this type of functionality to approximate something like a decaying average, with the idea that more recent assessments should weigh more than earlier assessments.For example, a teacher may weigh Q2 60% and Q1 40%.
Where to Start
- Click Gradebook tab.
- Select My Gradebook.
- Click on the title of the Gradebook you would like to edit.
- Click on the Setup tab.
- Select Grading Period Weights.
Add Grading Period Weights
- Input the percentage you would like each grading period to hold. (i.e. S1 50, S2 50).
- Also save to allows you to save this to one or multiple gradebooks.
- Click Save.
- Once you click save, you will receive a success message.
To learn more about Gradebook preferences, visit Setup and Preferences for All Gradebooks.