This lesson will guide you through the process of creating a Non- Traditional Selected Response item within the Illuminate Itembank. This allows students to select an answer choice like 'True/False' or 'Yes/No' to complete a question. For example, A. True B.False
Create a New Item
1. Click on the Create tab at the top of the page.
2. Select New Item.
3. Click Next.
Note: You may also start from the Items tab, then click Create Item.
Non-Traditional Selected Response
1. Item Type- Select the item type you are creating, in this case Non-Traditional Selected Response. This allows students to choice more than one correct answer.
2. Click Teacher Instructions to type Teacher Instructions.
3. Type your question in the Stem box.
4. Press Save & Continue.
5. You will now be able to enter your answer choices in the boxes provided.
6. Under Selected Response Choice Option, you can select whether student can mark these answers via Checkboxes, Yes/No or True/False or Correct/Incorrect. You will now be able to enter your answer choices in the boxes provided. Change the red X to a green check by clicking on it if the answer is Yes, True, or Correct. Any answer that is No or False will keep the red X. Be sure to click Save & Continue.
1. Add a performance level to your rubric by clicking Add Rubric Level. If you plan to mark the rubric level on each student's answer sheet for scanning with GradeCam, you may only have up to 5 rubric levels.
2. Enter the rubric performance level criteria.
3. Click the red minus (-) icon next to a criteria that you would like to remove. Use the arrow keys to move the criteria up or down.
4. Click Save once you have finished, then go to the Details tab.
1. Choose the bank where the item will belong. The Public item bank is an Illuminate Education community-driven bank where items contained in that bank is accessible to any user. If you only want your item available to you, choose -None-. Districts may create their own banks to add to this list. Please contact customer service for assistance.
2. Select the Language used in the item (i.e., English or Spanish). The red asterisk (*) next to Language indicates this field is required. Mark No or Yes to Exclude Stem from displaying to students. For example, an item may contain a passage that should be read aloud by the test proctor, but should not be included in the test booklet for students to view. The red asterisk (*) next to Exclude Stem indicates this field is required.
3. If the item requires a specific layout format that should not be changed, pick the Layout Format for the item: 2 Column, 2 Column Table, Full Page, Distractors Side By Side, Distractors Horizontal 2 by 2, Distractors Vertical 2 by 2.
4. Insert a Page Break before or after the question if needed.
5. Reference Material- If a question needs something like a Periodic Table, Formula Sheet, etc. you can add this as an image file and students will be able to access it when answering the question.
6. Click Save, then go to the Standards tab.
Identify Item Standards
1. Select the standards set, subject and the grade level for the standard(s) to which you will be tying to your item. As you select the drop-down menus the standards will be automatically loaded on the page. To find a specific standard by key word or standard code, use the search box then click Search.
2. You can click the arrow symbol to expand the strand or sub-strand and see the standards housed within.
3. Here you can see an expanded selection.
4. Select the standard(s) by clicking on the bolded standard title. Once linked, you will see a chain link show next to the linked standard(s).
5. The standard(s) selected will appear in the Linked Standards area. To remove a standard, click the 'X' next to it. You can continue to search and select more standards as needed.
You may preview your item by going to the Preview tab. The item preview will show the item step, distractor, correct answer (answer option letter is in green), aligned standard code, and other item information.
Note: The preview does not display in the item layout that you may have chosen in the Details step.
Publish is the final step of the item creation process. Prior to publishing, if you would like to make changes to your item, go to the appropriate tab to make your edits. When you are sure that your item is in final form and can be made available to add to assessments, click Publish.
Note: Once an item is published, it will be locked from further editing. To edit the item after it has been published, a new revision must be created.
Also, once an Item is published, you can add it directly to an existing assessment by clicking on the 'Add To' button. This will populate a list of assessments you can add this item to with one click.
View Item Revisions
The Revisions tab lists all versions of the item (including the master item), that has been revised once published. Once an item is published and added to an assessment, any further revisions of that item will not be updated in the assessment unless a user clicks on 'Update Assessments using old Item Revisions'. NOTE: If you decide to to this (For example, you realize that the answer choice was actually supposed to be A, not C) it WILL change all student scores associated with that assessment.When adding an item with several revisions to an assessment, the most recent revision will be used. To view an item revision, click on the number.