It is easy to add any user to Illuminate. Users are initially added to the system based on data provided by the District and (generally) generated via the District's Student Information System (SIS). However, a District administrator with access can still create additional users. This lesson will show how to do this.
Where to Start
1. Click on the Administration Gear.
Always Search for a User Before Adding
There is a chance that the user you wish to create already exists in the system, and you do not want to duplicate users. Thus, search for the user before attempting to add him or her to the system.
2. Under Users, click User Management.
3. Select New User.
1. If you scroll through the screen that appears, you will see a multitude of information types that you can provide for the user you are creating. Only the five fields with a red asterisk are required.
2. Also note that the password you enter is case sensitive, meaning that if you use capitalized and/or lowercase letters. It must be 6 characters or more.
3. After you have entered all desired information (including populating the 6 fields outlined above), click Save. Note also that you can click Additional Information to add things like birth date, school position, ethnicity, etc.
Email address is not a required field however it is recommended that all users have their email entered in the system for easy password recovery. If they were not imported they can be easily added on this page (not shown in image above).
Tip: Set the password expiration to be yesterday. When the user logs in using the default, they will be forced to change it to something secure.
You should see a green bar noting the user saved successfully.
You should now see additional tabs across the top where you will want to click to set up site/role affiliations, departments and credentials.
1. Click Site & Role Affiliation. If you selected a Role and Term(s) on the Basic Information screen, these will carry over.
2. To add additional roles, select Add Role. Once clicked, you will receive a pop up menu.
Note: Affiliating a user with a "District" will provide access to all students in the district; however, the user must also be affiliated with sites in order to run site-specific reports. Thus it is likely that any District administrator should be affiliated with the District as well as with all sites therein.
3. Click Role (or start to type a role name) and a dropdown menu will appear with choices. Do the same for Terms (or chose Select All Terms).
4. Chose Save Changes. Once clicked the role will populate in the list seen in the previous step.
1. Select the Departments tab.
2. Select the department(s) from the dropdown menu.
3. Click Save. You will receive a success message and the department chosen will stick in the dropdown menu.
1. Select the Credentials tab.
2. To make edits or delete any existing credentials, select the pencil (edit) or trash can (delete).
3. To add a new credential, click Add New Credential.