It is easy to add any user to Illuminate. Users are initially added to the system based on data provided by the District and (generally) generated via the District's Student Information System (SIS). However, a District administrator with access can still create additional users. This lesson will show how to do this.
Where to Start
- Go to the Administration Gear.
- Under Users, select User Management.
- Select New User.
Before creating a new user, search for the user being created to ensure they do not already exist. Be sure to review both active and inactive users.
- Scroll through the screen that appears to see a multitude of information types that can be provided for the user. Fields with Red Asterisks are required.
- Also note that the password is case sensitive. Additionally, it must be 6 characters or more.
- Add Roles and Terms for the user.
- Select Additional Information to add things like birth date, school position, ethnicity, etc.
- Select Save to create the new user.
Set the password expiration to be yesterday. When the user logs in using the default, they will be forced to change it to something secure.
Add Term/Role Affiliations
- Select Site & Role Affiliation. If Role and Term(s) are selected on the Basic Information screen, these will carry over.
- To add additional roles, select Add Role. Once added, a pop up menu appears.
- Enter a Role (or start to type a role name) and a dropdown menu will appear with choices.
- Select Sites the use role will be applied to.
- Choose the Academic Year(s) to apply the role to.
- Select the Terms to apply the role to (or chose Select All Terms).
- Chose Save Changes. Once selected, the role will populate in the list seen in the previous step.
Affiliating a user with a "District" will provide access to all students in the district; however, the user must also be affiliated with sites in order to run site-specific reports. Thus it is likely that any District administrator should be affiliated with the District as well as with all sites therein.
Add Department Affiliations
- Select the Departments tab.
- Select the department(s) from the dropdown menu.
- Select Save. A success message and the department chosen will stick in the dropdown menu.
- Select the Credentials tab.
- To make edits or delete any existing credentials, select the pencil (edit) or trash can (delete).
- To add a new credential, select Add New Credential.
Edit the user profile and perform the following:
- Set to Inactive.
- Remove Role Affiliations for current year.
If you are using ISI at your district, you will also need to set the following:
- Allow Rollover - set to NO.
- Exclude from State Reporting - No.
To learn more about Roles, visit Create, Edit, and Delete a Role.