This lesson will cover frequently asked questions, a step-by-step guide as well as troubleshooting tips and administrative information around how to transfer student scores from one GradeBook to another.
Note: This feature is not permission based and is available for all teachers.
Q: Can I transfer scores for multiple students at once?
A: No. This feature only allows you to transfer scores for one student at a time.
Q: What does the Transfer Gradebook Data feature do?
A: This feature allows teachers to bring over scores from another Gradebook to another. This feature will work for students who have either transfered in from another class or another period.
Q: What are some common scenarios of when I should transfer student scores from Gradebook to Gradebook?
A: The most common scenario would be students transferring between class periods and other schedule changes (e.g., Mrs. Smith English Period 1 to Mrs. Smith English Period 3).
Q: Why don't you transfer student scores automatically for me like you used to?
A: Numerous reasons, the most obvious being flexibility. Automatically transferring scores presented many issues such as:
1. Assignments being slightly different between gradebooks preventing the tool to locate matching assignments, which then forced teachers to manually enter the grades themselves.
2. The tool would only run once and would not allow teachers to control what scores they wanted to bring over and when.
3. The tool only worked between gradebooks that shared the same setup.
4. Did not allow teachers to pull scores from another teachers gradebook.
Q: When I transfer a score does it remove it out of the Gradebook I am transferring it from?
A: No. It merely makes a copy of the score.
Q: For how long will I be able to transfer student score data after the student comes into my class?
A: The entire academic year.
Q: Can I only transfer scores once?
A: No. You can transfer scores as many times as you'd like for as many assignments as you'd like.
Q: Can I transfer scores for students from another teachers Gradebook?
A: Yes, the transfer feature allows you to take a students assignment scores from another teacher's Gradebook and align it to one of your own assignments.
Q: Do assignment names need to match in order for the tool to work?
A: No. If assignment names do match between Gradebooks we will suggest the alignment automatically, however, if they don't you can simply tell us where the assignments line up.
Q: What if I don't want some of the transfer grades to count against a student?
A: You need to excuse a student from those assignments or remove his/her score for it not to contribute to the student's overall grade.
Where to Start
1. Click the Gradebook tab.
2. Select My Gradebooks.
3. Click on the title of the Source Gradebook (the original location of the student grades).
Enable Score Transfer in the Source Gradebook
First you must enable a score transfer for the student in the Gradebook you wish to transfer a score from.
- Click on the student's name.
- Select Enable Score Transfer.
Tip: Not seeing your student's name in the list? Set your Gradebook filter to All Students in Filter > Edit Filter.
- This will automatically change to Disable Score Transfer, which means Enable is currently turned on.
Transfer Student Grades to the New Gradebook
Navigate to your target Gradebook (the Gradebook you want to transfer the grades to) to continue this process.
- Click on the student's name.
- Select Transfer Gradebook Data.
Select Score Transfer Options
- Select an Assignment Alignment option. The tool will try and match assignments automatically for you that are similar by either Name or Date.
- Select a Source Gradebook to pull assignment scores from. This list will include all Gradebooks where the Enable Score Transfer feature has been turned on.
- Click the Next button to continue.
Confirm Assignment Alignment
- The red notification will let you know if some of the assignments in the Source Gradebook (sending) you selected could not be aligned to any of the assignments in your Target Gradebook (receiving).
- Review the mapping for each assignment. Use the dropdowns under Destination Assignment to adjust the assignment alignment if needed. You have the option to ignore any assignment score you do not want to bring into your Gradebook.
- When you are done lining up each of your assignments, click Import.
- To start the process over, click Start Over.
- A green notification bar will let you know that your scores were imported successfully. You should now see that the student scores have been automatically imported.