By default, all Gradebooks begin with the Spreadsheet view. This preference can be changed in your Gradebook preferences, as described in the Setup Gradebook Preferences lesson. The Spreadsheet View is a great way to see all your students and assignments at a glance, enter large amounts of data at once, and jump off into assignments or students easily without changing screens or to other views.
Where to Start
1. Click the Gradebook tab.
2. Select My Gradebooks.
3. Click on the title your Gradebook.
4. Select the View tab.
5. Click Spreadsheet.
Spreadsheet View Basics
The following are basic tips when entering assignments and scores:
- If you press Enter on your keyboard after typing each number it will automatically place you in the next box down.
- If you press Tab you will move 1 box to the right. The student's grade/mark will not update until you stop for a few seconds and/or press enter.
- Type an X to indicate an assignment as Excused (1), meaning the student should not be penalized for not having a score for an assignment (e.g., the assignment will not impact his or her grade in any way - it will be as if the assignment never existed for this particular student).
- Dark gray colored boxes indicate assignments that occurred before or after a student is actually in a class (they are referred to as Schedule Date Exception). This way you are able to enter scores for assignments regardless of the student's rostering dates. The student is automatically excused from assignments if he or she was not rostered to the teacher at the time the assignment was given, but once scores are entered the scores will effect the grade. If you want the assignment to remain excused, you must let the field remain blank.
- Light gray colored boxes indicate assignments are not currently counting towards a student's grade either due to the assignment due date or the grading period has passed.
- Hover your mouse over the assignment name (2) to Edit, Fill Down (Scores), Manage Links (to Assessments when applicable), Delete or Duplicate the assignment information, not grades or scores.
- To see Tags associated with an assignment, hover over the tag icon near the assignment name (3).
Keep in mind that every score is Saved automatically after you enter it. This can be disabled in your Gradebook preferences.
An additional option only within Spreadsheet view is a downloadable version in PDF or Excel formats via the Reports tab. When selected, it will provide an Excel or PDF version, that will download the most recent and current grades as seen in the Gradebook.
Optional customization: The Spreadsheet view reports can be customized by going to the Setup tab. Click Preferences, Others, then find the Spreadsheet report permissions.