This lesson will show you how to create tags to better organize assignment by a theme or type, that does NOT contribute as a value to the overall mark. Setting up tags is completely optional. The reason you may want tags is to show how the students are doing on the different types of assignments within the gradebook or area the assignment is a part of. For example, you can have one gradebook called Language Arts, and set up the tags for the different areas that make up Language Arts like Informational Text, Writing Purposes, or the type of assignment it is such as District Assessment, Homework Assignments, etc.
Where to Start
1. Click Gradebook tab.
2. Select My Gradebook.
3. Click on any of your Gradebook subjects.
Under Setup, select Categories and Assignment Tags.
Think of tags as labels that you can give assignments so you can do all kinds of reporting (i.e. to see how students are doing on "literature + peer review + essays").
- Tags can be used for both Points-Based Gradebooks and Standards-Based Gradebooks
- They make it easy for you to organize and manage your assignments
- You can add multiple tags to the same assignment
- Keep in mind, tags do not impact the students' overall grades, just help organize assignments
- Examples of common tags may include Homework, Difficulty Level, Reading Assignment, The Iliad and the Odyssey, Essay, etc.
1. Type your Tags (1) into the box under Tags.
- Press enter after each word/phrase you want to use as a tag.
- Using the example tags above, you would type Homework > press Enter then type Difficult > Press Enter, etc. Note: Tags are case sensitive so this means Quiz and quiz are two different tags!
2. Also Save This To (2) allows you to save this to multiple gradebooks at once. Select All Gradebooks or just the ones you wish these to apply to.
3. Once you've entered all the tags you would use on assignments, press Save.
Follow the same steps to access tags for editing and deleting.
Where to Use Tags
Once you've created Tags and/or Categories, the options you've setup will display on the Add Assignment page within the Assignments section.
- If categories are created, every assignment MUST have an assigned category
- Previously created assignments prior to category creation will need to be assigned a category
- Tags will continue to be optional per user and are not required to be added to assignments
- Remember, Tags are available for all gradebooks