When you enter your gradebook, is there a particular view you always want to see first? Would you prefer to include students' gender, birth date, or other information in this view? There are a number of options you can customize to make your gradebook look and operate in a way that suits you best. This lesson will guide you in adjusting your preferences specifically for supporting best practices of a Standards Based Gradebook.
Where to Start
1. Click Gradebook tab.
2. Select My Gradebook.
3. Click on the title of the Gradebook you would like to edit.
1. Click Setup.
2. Select Preferences.
3. Within the Preferences menu, there are four areas when customizing the GradeBook: Calculations, Assignments, Students, and Others. Set all of your options for each section by clicking the arrow next to the section title to see all the choices. Only one section will display at a time.
Please keep in mind, preferences are set up for success by default and do not need to be changed if not necessary.
Calculations for Standards Based Gradebooks are previously selected in the creation process. You can review how the standard and overall mark is calculated in the GradeBook details page. This particular area is how the GradeBook should calculate blanks and if using Custom Marks.
- Calculate blank as zero? If you select Zero and Missing, if a score field is left blank, it will be considered a 0 for that assignment. Selecting Not Zero and Not Missing will not count a blank score field against a student’s overall grade. Selecting Not Zero and Missing will not count blank scores as Zero, but will consider the assignment missing.
- Show Custom Mark- Enables the Enter/Edit Custom Mark field on Student & Assignment entry screens.
Assignment Preferences all are based on how the assignments are displayed in the GradeBook.Below are a few preferences you might be interested in learning more about:
- Show Assignment Mark- Displays the mark received for that assignment.
- Show Assignment Due Date- Displays due date of the assignment.
- Show Assignment Date Assigned- Displays the date the assignment was given.
- Assignment Sort Column- How you sort your columns for display on Spreadsheet view- by Due Date, Assign Date or Name.
- Assignment Sort Direction- Ascending- Oldest assignments first (left), Descending New assignments first (left).
- Assignment Secondary Sort Column- Once first sort is run, how do you want to sort after?
- Assignment Secondary Sort Direction- Ascending- Oldest assignments first (left), Descending New assignments first (left).
- Display Shown in portal? Does this assignment display in the student/parent portal?
- Assignment Creation Button- Show the shortcut button to Create an Assignment?
Student Preferences provide options on student information that is displayed in the GradeBook such as Student Name, ID, and Grade Level. Most preferences for how student information is shown in the GradeBook are self-explanatory. Below are a few preferences you might be interested in learning more about:
- Show Roll Number - Roll numbers can be assigned to students within the Setup menu
- Show Student Period - If a teacher is teaching US History with 3 periods of classes, they can have 1 GradeBook with all students; Using this preference will place the period # the individual student is in such as 1, 2, or 5
Others are preferences that may not have a particular area such as assignments or students. Below are a few preferences you might be interested in learning more about:
- Default Scoresheet View- Select the view you like to use to enter your scores. This is the view that you will be directed to when a GradeBook is accessed.
- Group by Standards- This will bunch assignments together if they are linked to the same standard**
- Enable Autosave- This allows Illuminate to autosave your score entries every few seconds. Disable autosave if you’re working with a very slow internet connection.
- Spreadsheet View Default Columns Per Page- How many columns do you want to see on your page when in Spreadsheet view?
- Spreadsheet PDF/Show Student Names- On a PDF printout do you want student names to show? (If No is selected, it will just display student ID numbers).
- Spreadsheet PDF/Sort By- How would you like the students sorted/names displayed?
- Spreadsheet Excel/Show Student Names- On an Excel printout do you want student names to show? (If No is selected, it will just display student ID numbers).
- Spreadsheet Excel/Sort By- How would you like the students sorted/names displayed?
- Display Attendance- Selecting Yes will show all non-present attendance marks (Absent, Tardy, etc.) for all students on the day an assignment was given. It will display next to the score entry box for that assignment. (This only works for Illuminate ISI customers)
- Display Present Attendance- Displays all present attendance marks as well (see above- This only works with Illuminate ISI customers).
- Display Custom Fields- If you have created a custom field, do you want this to show in your GradeBook?
Preferences marked with a ** are a recommend Best Practice in support of Standards Based Grading.
Also Save This To: You can save these preferences to all of your GradeBooks, just the current one, two of them, etc.
After setting all your desired options to meet the needs of your GradeBook you have the option of saving this setup to other classes as well. Select the classes you want to save this same setup to and click Save.
For additional resources on Gradebook Preferences, visit Illuminate U's U215 Customizing Your Gradebook.