This lesson will show you how to create a new assignment (e.g., homework, quiz, test, exam, participation score, etc.) in the Illuminate Gradebook.
Where to Start
- Click the Gradebooks tab.
- Select My Gradebooks.
- Click on the title of the Gradebook you would like to edit.
- Click Create Assignment.
You can also create an assignment by clicking the Assignments tab within a gradebook and selecting Add Assignment.
Create an Assignment
The red asterisks (*) next to fields indicate that those fields must all be populated in order to proceed. All other options are optional.
- Give the assignment a Short Name, which will appear on the Spreadsheet view.
- Add a Description for pertinent assignment details (Optional).
- Add Tags to the assignment (Optional). Visit Create, Modify, and Delete Tags for more details.
- Link a Category to the assignment. Visit for Create, Modify, and Delete Categories more details.
- Assign Date refers to when students were informed about the assignment.
- Add a Due Date if the date is assigned and due on different dates (Optional). An assignment that is not due yet will show up as gray in your gradebook Spreadsheet view.
- Assessment allows you to link this assignment directly to an assessment you have already given (optional).
- Enter the number of Possible Points for the assignment. Visit Understand How Points, Scores, and Percentages Work for more information.
- Enter the Possible Score for the assignment (Optional). Visit Understand How Points, Scores, and Percentages Work for more information.
- Check Is Extra Credit for extra credit assignments (Optional).
- An assignment should be set to Yes for Is Active when it is available for students and should be included on their overall grade. Set to No to hide from students and parents until otherwise updated (Optional).
- Select a Section to link the assignment to.
- Filter Report Cards filters the reports cards listed in the Link to Report Cards field (Optional).
- Link to Report Card shows the list of report cards available for linking. The list will be based on any filters set in the Filter Report Cards field (Optional).
- Also Save This To can save an assignment to all of, or select, GradeBooks (Optional).
- Use Link Standards to add standards to the assignment (Optional).
- Click Attach File to attach a file (e.g., a pdf or Word doc of the actual assignment, etc.) to your assignment. Students (and parents) will be able to see and download attachments through portal.
- When finished, click Save or Save and Add Another Assignment.
If you have a Default Scoresheet View option selected besides Points, you will not be able to input in points for students for an assignment marked 'Yes' for Is Extra Credit. You can change the Default Scoresheet View option back to 'Points' by going to the section marked Others in the Preferences tab of your gradebook.
Edit & Delete Assignments
From the Spreadsheet view:
- Hover cursor over the assignment name.
- Click Edit to be taken back to the screen seen under Create an Assignment.
- Click Delete to delete the assignment. Verify you want to delete the assignment and click Yes.
From Manage Assignments:
- Click the assignment name to be taken back to the screen seen under Create an Assignment.
- Use the checkboxes to select multiple assignments.
- Select an action for the selected assignments.
- Click Submit to complete the selected action.
Learn about entering data into assignments by visiting Enter Assignment Grades Using the Spreadsheet View .