This approach is typically used by high school sites, where each student sits down with a counselor to discuss the coming school year; however, all site levels will use this approach at some point (e.g. in after previously using packages or scheduling groups)
This lesson comprises part of student scheduling and covers the process of entering information about the courses that each student will be taking in the upcoming school year. As noted above, this approach is typically used by high school sites (where each student sits down with a counselor to discuss the coming school year) in place of scheduling groups or packages; however, all site levels will use this approach at some point (e.g. in after previously using packages or scheduling groups). If you prefer to import your course requests, see the "Import Course Requests (Alternate Option)" section near the end of this lesson for guidance.
Where to Start
1. Click on your control and make sure you're logged in under the school year for which you are impacting scheduling, as well as a specific school site. Confirm that you're logged in under the coming school year.
2. If you are not, use the Change Student Set / Site in the control panel to log in under the upcoming school year.
1. Click the Scheduling tab.
2. Under Course Requests, click Edit Course Requests.
Find a Student
1. Enter as much criteria as is necessary to find the student for which you are looking.
2. Click Search.
3. Find your student's name in the resultant list (scroll forward or add additional search criteria if necessary) and click his or her name.
1. If the student belongs to a House (that you must have previously set up through the related step/lesson), you may select it from the drop-down menu and Save it. Students within the same house will be scheduled with teachers/sections that belong to the same house.
2. To acquire a list of courses from which to add course requests for the student, use any Course Search criteria by which you'd like to filter courses, then click Search.
Any courses that have been requested will show with the green 'Requested' box next to the couse name. To add a course from the list to the student's schedule, simply double-click the desired course on the left, and it will then appear on the right. The cloud icon is used to indicate that the request originates from an online choice. Continue until you have as many courses as periods that the student will be expected to attend.
Add Alternate Courses
If there is an alternate course request that will work just as well as another (but should not be added to a schedule in addition to another - such as 2 alternate choices for one Math or Electives spot), simply drag the desired course on the left (place your mouse cursor over it, "left-click" once but hold the click down) to the similar course already-selected on the right (still holding the click down, move your mouse cursor over the alternate selection until it turns blue, as shown above, and then let go of the mouse).
The alternate course will then appear on the right, as shown above. You may add additional alternate courses, or delete an alternate course (or the request number that houses it) at any time by clicking the blue X icon next to it.
Edit Course Requests
1. To Edit a Course Request, select 'Edit'.
2. This will populate Terms (select the one you want it to apply to), Timeblocks (Periods), Teacher and Priority of the Course Request.
Note: The Student Scheduler uses Course Request priorities as a guide for placing students initially. When the scheduler encounters conflicts it will try to shuffle students around with less emphasis on priorities as it looks for a solution. The ultimate goal of the scheduler is to place 100% of course requests in the allotted time. A Priority 1 isn't a guarantee that a course request will be satisfied.
3. Click Save.
Locked Course Requests
Course Requests are "locked" if the request was added to the student via a scheduling package. The package will need to be edited to remove the lock. Please note, the locked requests can be deleted, but this should be a last resort if the course request cannot be satisfied. However, refreshing a package will add back any of these requests that you deleted.
Delete a Course Request
To delete a course request:
1. Click the blue X icon.
2. You will be asked to confirm the deletion, select Yes. The Course Request will disappear from the list.
Proceed to the next lesson in this manual for support with the next step.