Illuminate does not integrate seamlessly with any third party registration systems. If registration data is collected for NEW students then it can be imported using our data import tools if the following steps are followed. Note that a NEW student is defined as a student that does not already have an ID number in Illuminate.
1. For NEW students ONLY - Format data to match the layouts for Studemo.txt, Enrollment.txt, and Contacts.txt
The student ID number will need to match in ALL 3 files. To ensure that the ID number used matches the numbering system currently in use by Illuminate, determine the last Illuminate generated student ID by calling Illuminate and asking. Then populate the incoming files with the next expected ID incrementing by one for each student in the files you plan to import. This ID will become the new official student ID for to be used in all future imports. This needs to be completed as a one time import. In other words, do not import the files until they are complete for the student IDs that are being submitted.
NOTE: During this time ensure that users are NOT creating students manually in the system.
2. If you are familiar with the Data Import tools, first import the data into you site sandbox, preview the data and if it is correct THEN import the data into your live site.
If you are not familiar with the Data Import tools, submit the files as zipped files to email@example.com. Please keep in mind that the turnaround time for this import can vary depending on the existing ticket volume for the Illuminate data team. Please plan ahead and give yourself ample time to get the data loaded and make a clear distinction between loading data to your Live site vs. your sandbox site. All data imports should be imported into your site sandbox first for verification purposes. After the data is confirmed on the sandbox, THEN request that the data is imported into your Live site.
NOTE: For best results and fewest possible user errors, this should be performed as a one time import i.e., do not submit files for processing until you are certain that ALL data that you wish to import has been included.
3. Request that Illuminate reset the student ID generator to one number larger than the last ID in the file that was imported.
So lets say for example, the next sequence value in step 1 was determined to be 2000 and you need to upload 100 NEW students. Doing the math, these new students should take up IDs 2000-2099. So the the new requested ID sequence should be adjusted and set to 2099+1. This way, if a new student was manually added today or tomorrow, it will get the ID 2100, which will not conflict with the the 100 students to import.
4. Special considerations for the Contact.txt import: Only NEW contacts may be imported into the system i.e., if an existing student has a new sibling entering the school that is part of the enrollment.txt and demographic.txt file, chances are the contact information will be the same as the current existing student and this contact should be removed from the file prior to importing so that a duplicate contact is not created. These contacts will need to be manually connected to the student in the system on the Contact screen before proceding to the next step.
5. Even with carful handling of the contact.txt file it is likely that some duplicate contact will be left in the file. Next make sure to manage duplicate contacts by merging Duplicate Contacts, Dwellings, and Households that were created during the import of existing siblings.
NOTE: Contact merges (that need to take place due to duplicate contacts) negatively impact contacts that have already registered for a Home Connection Portal. Parents impacted by the merge may need to reregister for a new Portal account.
6. If additional data needs to be imported these students, future imports will be a one time request of that specific data element only.
For example, you realize that you left a field such as Parent Education Level blank for all students - DO NOT resubmit the studemo.txt file. Instead submit a two column file that contains the student ID and the Parent Education Level code to firstname.lastname@example.org and request that the field is mass updated for the students in the file with the proper value.