This lesson will guide you through the process of creating, editing, and removing or deleting online registration forms.
The following lesson is in support of using the Pre-Registration form tools for new or incoming students only.
For current or returning students, please visit Custom Forms/Online Registration.
Where to Start
1. Go to Admin Cog Wheel.
2. Select Manage Pre-registration Forms.
This is your Manage Pre-registration Forms page, to create a new form, select Create Pre-registration Form at the top of the page.
1. Give your form a Name.
2. Form Description is not a required field. However, if you do type in a description, it will later pop up when a user hovers their mouse over the title. This can help improve workflow and keep open lines of communication as to which forms are being used and their purpose.
3. Select Save.
Selecting 'Guide Me' will trigger a help wizard that will walk you through this process directly in your site! Give it a try.
Each page created, has appropriate Field Groups and Fields that are tied to their home in Illuminate. For example, when you select Contacts Page, the field group and fields are connected to the Contacts table and information.
Selecting a General Page provides a variety of general student information including Student Custom Fields, or fields that are not provided by Illuminate but important enough for you to collect. Visit Student Custom Fields if you need to create a few of your own.
Field Groups available in support of General Pages include Student Basic Information, Student Langauge, Student Special Education, ISE District Info, and Student Custom Fields.
Illuminate provides a Contacts Page where fields are tied directly to the Contacts table for students.
Field Groups and Fields are automatically provided and even some are defaulted to be included in your Contacts page when you select Add Fields.
New Parents and Office Staff will start with their own contact information in the Household Contacts section. More will show contacts options that may be available depending on how the form is setup. Edit will navigate parents to change information if able to be changed.
The same tools apply for Add Other/Emergency Contacts as appropriate to the setup of the form. Other contacts are not tied to a household and will not provide a space to enter address information. These are typically for emergency contacts.
While we provide many fields for you, everyone has different uses and needs for using Custom Forms. By using Student Custom Fields, you can create the additional fields you need.
Once custom fields are created, they are available for Custom Forms within the General Page as a field group.
2. Depending on the page selected, Field Groups and Fields may be available.
3. Click to select the Checkbox of the fields you want to add to the form.
4. Select Add Fields to add selected fields to the form. You can also remove fields from here as well.
5. Fields will be added to the page.
6. Depending on the field and your data collection needs, field options include Moving the field (up or down), making the field Required, and/or Read Only, so parents cannot edit but only see current values.
7. Hover over the widget, to have the ablity to Remove or delete the field from the form.
8. Add a Text Block to customize the form even more, adding links and additional formating.
9. Always Save when changes are made to your form.
10. To add a new page, select New Page.
11. Once multiple pages are added, rearrange the order of the pages by select Move Left or Move Right.
12. To review how the form is going to look, select Preview.
13. If this page is not needed or made in error, select Delete.
Using features available in the Textblock tool is a great way to customize your form even more! Add details, information, even translations, to make your parents and custom form experience even better! You can:
- Use basic Word Processing formatting tools such as copy, paste, font sizes, justificaiton, and paragraph alignment
- Link external resources such as district webpages, CA EdCode documents, or other resources to best assist the process
- Create textblocks to sit at the top or bottom of the forms to support parent navigation
- Create textblocks to sit above or below fields, if the field is not as self-explanatory where the fields house the answer
- Use textblocks in support of other languages and translations
Once created, the Textblock becomes a field in the form that can be rearranged.
An Attachment Group is a way to designate a space in the form (at the bottom of the page) for parents to attach files to the form. To create an attachment group:
1. Select Add Attachment Group.
2. Create a Label for the group such as Proof of Residence.
3. Add Details to better explain which documents should be made available in this group.
4. Select Save.
5. Once the group has been created, it is saved to your form and located at the bottom of the page.
6. If necessary, you can Delete or remove the group from the form.
7. When needed, you can created another group by choosing Add Attachment Group.
14. To update the title or description, select Edit.
15. To begin creating more forms or return to the Manage Custom Forms overview page, select Manage Custom Forms.
Once forms are added, you can perform a number of functions with them from the Manage Forms page. A list of forms that have been created will appear.
- Preview will provide a real-time screen of what the form will look like for recipients.
- To make a copy of the form to revise and edit or create a different version, select Duplicate.
- Delete will remove the form completely, but only if it has not been sent to recipients.
- To change the form's title, description or other information, select the Title of the Form to Edit.
- Manage Fields will lead you to the Manage Fields page to further customize the form.
When viewing a form in preview mode, a yellow banner will display reminding the user that while they can pretend to enter data, it will not save in this space. This space is met for previewing the form only.
Preview allows you to see exactly what the form will look like to Parents/Guardians (aka Recipients) filling it out. This screen is helpful because it allows users to see how the form interacts with the recipient, the available settings, pages, and options to submit for review.
Duplicate allows you to make copies of the form, which you can then modify without changing the original. Every duplicate made will be titled 'Copy of...' you can then make edits to the title, fields, etc.
Duplication is useful for your pre-registration procedures if the form is almost the same for each grade level with the exception of a few pieces of information such as the parent's message. It can also be in useful if you sent a form prematurely and need to revise and resend.
Delete allows you to delete forms that have not been sent to recipients. Once deleted, they cannot be recovered.
Once a form has been sent, it cannot be deleted due to the data collection already in place. However, you can edit the recipient list and remove those who have not started or accessed the form. Then duplicate the original form, revise, and send to the recipients as appropriate.
Edit allows you to change the title or form Name and Description of the form.
Now that you have created all the forms you need for pre-registration or new students, you may be ready for Manage Pre-registration Setup.