This lesson will guide an administrator through assigning a teacher (or any user) to the ability to become a substitute for another user. This feature allows for substitute teachers to login to an official teacher account in DnA for a designated period of time.
This functions like the Become Another User feature, but only grants access to specified teacher accounts. Teachers do not have to give out their login credentials to subs, require a district to double schedule students, etc.
Before You Get Started
If you do not have a Substitute role created, create one using the Role Management page. The Substitute role needs to have a role level higher than the Teacher role. For example, if a Teacher's role is at level 300, then a Substitute role should be at a 301.
For Short Term or Long Term Substitutes, there are two options:
- Option 1: Create a generic "Substitute" user account and assign the role of Substitute.
- Option 2: Create a user account for each substitute teacher in the system (with State Reporting set to No) and assign the role of Substitute.
Administrators assigning substitutes to teachers need the following permissions:
- Substitute Teacher - Assign Long-Term (1)
- Manage Substitute Teachers (2)
The Substitute Teacher role needs the following permission:
- Substitute Teacher (3)
Where to Start
Log in to an individual school site via the Control Panel, then:
- Click on the Administration Gear.
- Under Users, select Substitute Teacher Schedules.
- To add a substitute teacher assignment, click Add Substitute Teacher Schedule.
- Select the Substitute Teacher (only users with the substitute teacher permission will show).
- Select the Permanent teacher (the teacher they are acting as sub for).
- Select the Access Type:
- Limited: This will mean the sub will not assume the identity of the permanent teacher to be granted access to Gradebooks, Assessments, etc.
- Full: This will mean the sub will assume the identity of the permanent teacher to be granted access to Gradebooks, Assessments, etc. It will ignore any permissions assigned to the substitute's original role.
- Select the date range they will be a sub for this teacher.
- Click Add.
- Once added you will see a confirmation on the Manage Substitute Teacher Schedules page.
- To edit the End Date, use the Calendar icon.
- To remove the substitute teacher schedule, check the box under the Trashcan.
- Click Save to save your changes.
Now that you have created substitute users, visit Logging in as a Substitute Teacher for instructions on how to log in using the Substitute Teacher feature.