This lesson will guide you through enabling Text to Speech for an online assessment for individual students. This feature is currently available for Itembank only, and will read text from passages, questions, and answers.
Required Permissions: Online Testing Administration, Online Testing - Allow use of Text to Speech
Before You Start
Set up your online testing roster if you haven't already. For step-by-step instructions on setting up an online testing roster, see the lesson Online Testing Setup Using the Student Portal.
Where to Start
- Click Assessments.
- Select View Assessments.
- Click the title of your assessment to open it.
- Select Administration.
- Click Online Testing.
Enable Text to Speech Per Student
- Click on the number of Students linked to this roster. This will open a list of all students given access to this assessment.
If you are using a Quick Code, students will not appear until they have logged into the assessment.
- Find the student(s) who should have text to speech enabled and click Actions.
- Select Enable Text to Speech.
You can disable text to speech by clicking Actions and Disable Text to Speech.
- Students will see the text to speech tool bar at the top of every question and any available passages.
- Students can play, pause or stop the reader.
- They can use the dropdown to adjust the speed at which the content is read.
There is no limit to how many times students can listen to a question or passage.
Want to automate Text-to-Speech for students? Visit Automating Text-to-Speech to learn more.