This is a basic annual district/site walk-through and checklist to ensure you are ready for the Summer Session or ESY. Click on any of the links below for detailed instructions.
IMPORTANT: Summer school is designed to be an extension of the school year in Illuminate. A summer session will need to be created for each site that is operating a summer school.
If ESY will be tracked in Illuminate, we recommend setting up a separate ESY school per site type i.e., Elementary ESY, Middle School ESY, High School ESY.
Getting Started-Summer School
Before you dive into setting up your Summer School/ESY, it is important to make sure you understand how Summer School works. Are there multiple periods? Does attendance need to be tracked and reported? Is attendance Hourly/Positive or Daily/Negative? Is Summer School strictly for credit recovery or for enrichment?
The answers to the above questions can change how you approach the setup for your Summer School.
As mentioned above, Summer school is designed to be an extension of the school year and, therefore, should be created as a new session at any existing site that will be offering summer school.
Per school site you must:
1. Create a new Sessions and Terms using Term Manager. The Term should be added as its own unique session that starts after the regular session has ended. Additionally, if your summer session will not be reporting ADA, please Select NON-ADA from the dropdown.
For ESY, after click add Term for your specific ESY sites, click the dropdown that says Yearlong and select Session. Next, provide a name for the term and then click on the Term Type dropdown and select Supplemental Session.
2. Give yourself and staff affiliations with the Summer Session.
3. Create Timeblocks and Timeblock Occurrences (contact us if you would like assistance 'copying over' timeblocks and occurrences at email@example.com)
4. Complete the school Calendar for the Summer Session.
5. Set Reporting Periods (for attendance reporting periods). Please be sure you are logged into the Summer Session. NOTE: Reporting periods enable you to run specific Attendance reports that may be helpful for your staff.
6. Set Grading Periods (for gradebooks). Please be sure you are logged into the summer session.
7. Next, Enroll summer school students manually. If there are more than 75 students, please follow the directions below for guidance on how to mass enroll.
For Mass enrolling, please submit a file to help@illuminateEd.com. The file must contain the following columns: Student ID, Last Name, First Name, Enrollment Site ID: this is the site to be enrolled into, Academic Year, Session Type (i.e. Summer), Grade Level, Enrollment Attendance Program.
8. Check Course master list to ensure summer-related courses are flagged properly. If the course's Session Type is blank under course details your course will be available for Summer and Normal Sessions.
9. Scheduling Option 1:
- Create new Sections for Summer Session using Live Sections. Please be sure you are logged into the Summer Session.
- Schedule Students Manually using Schedule 2.0. or the Place Students feature in each section. Please be sure you are logged into the Summer Session.
Scheduling Option 2:
- Create Draft Schedule
- Create Draft Sections
- Edit sections and use Place Students feature to schedule students.
- Publish the draft
If Summer School requires hourly positive attendance tracking make sure that all sections at the site are set as hourly positive.
If you have a particularly complex summer school schedule and would like to use our master scheduling tools see our complete help documents.
For assistance or to answer any questions you may have, please do not hesitate to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org